Task Force Admiral WIP shows a ton of promise [Pacific]

Drifter Man

FGM Company Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Microsoft Combat Flight Sim 2 Pacific Theater solved that for me. THAT was an epic game. I wish that was remade with new features that come with the new games. I haven't looked into the game mentioned on this post, but I might if it's anything like MCFS 2: PT.
Task Force Admiral is not a flight simulator - it is a wargame in which ships and aircraft are simulated, but not directly controlled by the player. So, it might not be your thing if you are looking for the next CFS.

Artkin

FGM Colour Sergeant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Task Force Admiral is not a flight simulator - it is a wargame in which ships and aircraft are simulated, but not directly controlled by the player. So, it might not be your thing if you are looking for the next CFS.
I meant more of the grand scale and nature of CFS battles. It hasn't been done since.
I remember the map being thousands of miles in length and width

Drifter Man

FGM Company Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Some interesting movies and other info have been shared by the dev team recently... about my favorite topic: naval flak :) The latest development update on steam (link) mentions such "finer points" like the role of single-purpose guns in AA defense of the task force, fuze setting and fire control (even for medium AA, yay!). I'm very happy to read about such things actually being considered/simulated in a game.

The clip below is an older one, showing a dive bomber attack against a cruiser. Nevermind the murderous effectiveness of the AA, they said they would be tweaking it. One thing I'd point out is that the 5" shells explode very close to the targeted ship. It would get showered with fragments and probably take serious damage from friendly fire, think about the exposed AA crews. Naval AA must respect the available firing arcs and avoid hitting friendly ships.

(The videos work, you may just have to click through to watch them on FB)

Another clip with in-game sound. The sound sounds great, but so far I hear no indication that the distance from the source to the camera is taken into account. At this distance, I should see/hear some delay between flash and boom of the 5" guns.

Finally, an entirely peaceful video clip about view controls, just looking great. This might be the bluest game I've ever seen.

Notice the waves around the ship - not just the bow wave and the stern wake, but also the waves spreading sidewards from the ship. I bet this is not easy to do in a sim. I assume the wave field is periodic - a patch that is repeated infinite number of times in the x and y directions - and they superimpose these individual ship effects on that periodic field. I wonder 1) how these individual ship wakes interact and 2) what bad weather will look like in the game. At sea state 5 or 6, destroyers are already heavily affected - they can't go too fast and may have trouble keeping their course, depending on the wind direction. Will they include that in the simulation? Or will they choose to avoid simulating bad weather completely?

Last edited:
Top Bottom