Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

The Borscht Wars CM Black Sea Campaign

Count me in too, would love to get in a CMBS campaign. I was in the last modern warfare cam called 'Desert Lance' for CMSF from Bootie, had a blast in it. Would be a great change of pace from the tried and true and popular WWII setting.

@Rico I would LOVE to get involved in a black sea campaign!!!!!!!!!!!

+1

I'd be very interested in a BS campaign as well! Though preferably staying away from large/Huge battles....

And another ribbon would be nice! (I don't think I've seen any BS campaigns on here??) :rolleyes:

The way it is looking now, most battles would be reinforced company-sized -- keep it to medium/large maps to give some room for maneuver.

Restricting kit so far to just Ukrainian and Russians - US stuff just throws balance out of kilter too much.

I like!
57533930.jpg

Last edited:
Where can i get these the 'Black Star' insignia and Iron Fist? Very like it!

Quick explanation on how casualties and strength levels work in the units.

The basic parent formation is the Battalion Task Group (either tank or mech infantry) ... the main combat counters represent a company at either full strength, two-thirds or one-third strength.

Smaller support counters represent platoon-sized units like Anti-tank (ATGM), air defense, engineers, mortar and recon units -- they only have 1 strength level.

There is also the Btn HQ group and the organic Artillery Group -- usually 2 batteries of 122mm or 152mm SP Guns which can fire in support over 3 hexes range.

Here an example of a Russian Tank Btn Task Group and it shoes how a mixed tank company's OOB is reduced as it loses strength points.

Each Company or platoon support unit has been listed as to personnel and vehicle strength.

All formations break down into threes and thirds quite well.

If a company (3 strength point) unit sustains 34%+ casualties, it loses a strength point.

If the same company sustains 67%+ casualties, it loses 2 strength points.

If the same company loses 83%+ it is destroyed.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If a company starts a battle with 2 strength points -- it loses 1 strength point if suffering 51%+ casualties.

If a company starts a battle with 2 strength points -- it is eliminated if suffering 76%+ casualties.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any units with just one strength point (1/3 strength companies or platoon support units) are eliminated if suffereing 51%+ casualties.

Overall casualties are worked out by averaging out the casualty percentages between vehicles and personnel in a unit. (guns as well in the case of mortar units)

For example, if in a battle, a unit loses 6 out of 10 vehicles (60%) and 38 out of 100 troops (38%) -- the overall casualty rate works out to 49% .
If this unit had started out as a full strength (3 strength points) company, it would be reduced to 2 strength points.

It's s system where a quick count at the end of a battle and a quick comparison with a sheet listing vehicle and personnel strengths allows for quick, rounded up (or down) adjustments to strengths on the counters without keeping track of all units and men.

Hope this makes sense -- it's quite simple, but a little hard to explain.

More on abstracting of air battle and arty and recon later ... back to RL work

Welcome to the fictional Borscht Wars ... how the two sides match up ... basically similar OOB's... main forces on each side are a Tank Battalion Tactical Group and a Mech Infantry (BMP) Tactical Group.
Amongst the regulars each side also has a Elite Commando company that could be air-dropped or sea-landed (neither side has significant naval capability besides light patrol craft)

The western People's Republic of Chomsk uses Ukrainian kit, the eastern Kurgan Democratic Republic uses Russian kit (not the top line).

Each side also has a Tank Btn Group and a Mech Inf (BTR) Group of reservists to mobilise once hostilities start (there will be a start-up narrative for this.)

The attack chopper counters each represent a pair of Hind attack helos.

The aircraft counters (there will be more than shown) -- each represent either a SU-26 or SU-25 attack plane -- air-to-air fighting will be abstracted with both sides assigning aircraft to Close Air Support or Air Superiority missions and then results played out by Tourneymeister by die roll.

The SAM and SAM/Gun counters each represent a battery of 3 Strela SAM launchers, or 3 Tunguska SAM/AA vehicles that can be deployed with ground units.

Each side also has 4 Border Guard companies -- relatively low quality para-military units dug-in at the main border crossings -- armed with infantry weapons only and obsolete BTR APC's.

More to follow when I have some more time...

Borscht-map11-flat.jpg~original

If you still have space sign me up, little experience of CMBS but happy to learn/get wasted...

Thanks for the interest guys - it's not quite ready for sign ups yet - still ironing out the rules here and testing a few things. Will keep you posted.
Looks like you've got them 'Chomsking' at the bit. Yeah I'll be here till Friday... tip your waitress on the way out. :D

Did I flick you a copy of the drat rules I was working on for Chernarus? If you need a copy, plus some spreadsheets that may save you some time let me know. When the day comes and you want to get this off the ground, let me know and I'll set up the subforums etc.

Looks like you've got them 'Chomsking' at the bit. Yeah I'll be here till Friday... tip your waitress on the way out. :D

Did I flick you a copy of the drat rules I was working on for Chernarus? If you need a copy, plus some spreadsheets that may save you some time let me know. When the day comes and you want to get this off the ground, let me know and I'll set up the subforums etc.

Thanks @Ithikial -- hahaha ... "Chomsking at the bit"... very good ;)

I remember you sending the air war rules over ... would like to have another look at the rest of the rules again .. please pop 'em over. :)

Back