FGM Lieutenant General
- Nov 5, 2009
- Reaction score
- Johannesburg, South Africa
- Turn Rate
- 6+ pw
- 2-4 games.
I toyed with a similar idea -- wasn't sure it could be properly tracked and judged.The Reserve rules to allow for immediate exploitation are interesting.
An idea that I've always had is the player that gets to move first (or opt to react to their opponent) on the campaign map is the one who won the most CM battles in the previous campaign turn. The idea being that one side as the strategic momentum/initiative and can dictate the flow of the battle.
Five suggestions (learned the hard way):Ok -- results of more recent playtesting: a little too complicated -- need to strip things down quite a bit more.
Thanks Ithikial,Five suggestions (learned the hard way):
1) Have the campaign units a decent starting size and/or limit the number that can be placed in one hex at one time, (forces players to think harder where to place their assets, rather than 'pile in' battles)
2) Don't allow players to come up with their own OOB or switch individual units around between different campaign units;
3) May not be military perfect for the military 'grogs,' but name each campaign unit something simple and unique;
4) Via Odin - For each campaign chit, set up the force in the editor with one file .btt equaling one campaign unit, no matter the size. When it comes to creating a battle simply import each file individually until you have all the necessary forces from both sides before importing that combined file onto the blank map the battle will be fought over. (Air units and support can then be added manually at the tale end);
5) Edit the initial .btt files for each campaign unit for casualties after the CMBS battle;
6) Set up a 'dead unit' level to prevent speed bump battles and annoying OOB that can't be easily done inside the editor. Something like when a campaign unit loses 50% of it's initial starting strength it is auto retired from the front for 'rest and refit.'
Just some ideas I've got in my draft rules. Will post a few extra things in our shared folder for ideas.
Nice idea ... I want to try and find some time over the weekend to run some tests if the play sequence works ok ... I remember running into some probs way back in April -- can't remember what it wasIf you want.. and its just a suggestion is you transfer all this stuff to me and I can run this campaign and you run Heraklion?