Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

The Borscht Wars CM Black Sea Campaign

Here a hopefully coherent explanation of the Borscht Wars Zone combat system concept:

Each sector of a ZONE facing another adjacent enemy held ZONE is known as a FRONT and must be designed at least a company-sized unit to defend.

Each "BRIGADE" is made up of an HQ, Companies, Artillery Unit and support platoons (represented by the smaller counters, colour-coded to indicate which Brigade they belong to).
In the example below, the Chomsk Rifles consist of the following:
HQ unit (contains a Btn HQ, extra artillery spotters and air controllers)
3x Motor Rifle (BTR) Companies of: 3x Rifle Pltns, 1x Hvy Weapons Pltn, (all mounted in BTR APC's), 1x pltn of 3x tanks
Support units:
1x battery of 6x 122mm SP Howitzers
1x recon Platoon
1x anti-Tank pltn (ATGM & recoiless guns)
1x hvy mortar platoon (6x 120mm mortars)
1x engineer platoon
1x MANPADS platoon (hand-held SAM )
BORSCHT-ZONE-COMBAT-EXAMPLE.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
BORSCHT-ZONE-COMBAT-EXAMPLE.jpg

In the above example, the Guards Tank Brigade attacks from ZIN'KIV into ORANY, defended by the enemy Chomsk Rifles, which defend this sector of the front with their 1st Company, supported by the MANPADS and Anti-Tank platoons.
(support platoons are indicated to be "attached" to a company or HQ by being placed up against the larger unit counter)

Also, a flight of 2x HIND attack helicopters has been assigned to this zone in support, and the Chomsk Rifles artillery is firing across the river from MISHIK in support.
Also, the 3rd Company has been released from Reserve and should arrive as reinforcements at the 20 minute mark of the 40 minute CMBS battle.

The attacking enemy force consists of 1st Company, Guards Tank Brigade with the Brigade HQ in support (this provides extra spotter/air controllers -- each company usually has one of each assigned automatically) and the battery of 6x 122mm howitzers -- also attached are the Guards Brigade's MANPADS pltn, Engineer pltn and a battery of 3x Tunguska AA vehicles.
Air support comes in the shape of one flight of 2x attack helicopters and two flights of 2x Frogfoot light attack aircraft.

the 2nd Company, Guards Tank Brigade are in reserve and will be able to move into ORANY after the battle should the enemy withdraw or the battle be inconclusive and the ZONE become CONTESTED (more on how that works a little later)

The CMBS map will probably be wooded farmland with possibly a small village, possibly including a stretch of the Derashnaya - Makariv highway.

It is assumed that all ZONES contain minor roads and bridges/fords, so the roads on the map represent major highways and bridges that would facilitate faster movement and supply.

When will there be a sign up thread? ;)

Not yet - for now I am looking for a hardcore campaign player to run tests with - play the strategic turns as enemy CO - see how production works out - run through a few test pbem battles vs myself.

Its going to be a few months to see if this flies - in meantime keep your eyes peeled for the Campaign being built by Bootie and Ithikial.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lots of solo testing of this over last few weeks ... quite a few lessons learned -- decided to use a more detailed OOB breakdowns on the counters to track casualties ... and I think it needs a strategic map with much more room to maneuver.

On CM side ... decision making at when to call off battles or attacks is crucial ... how to time a withdrawal when enemy armour can move across a 2km map in minutes firing on the move if they get a whiff of defender withdrawing (which without the right terrain or smoke screen cover can be suicidal in itself)

Has this died a been buried or is it still in the oven? @Rico

I'm looking for something to do creatively in between BotB turns.

More like induced coma ... LOL ... can't remember where I left it off -- there seem to have been a few probs with the movement/combat system on the maps ... the just ran out of time after my trip at end Feb :confused:

Interested
But would have to fully digest all the rules and clear my full plate of PBEM games a bit
Following this with much interest

Back