Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

The Rico-Shorker War

@Rico - the new PRORAF emblem looks great! I was also even thinking of changing my trooper's uniforms! LOL!!! :D

But in general: All the credits got o Rico - all is his idea, his work, his effort - I'm only the "guinea pig". :p

I did not even post a film yet or a photo - I'm fighting too many battles at a time at the moment - hopefully I will get more familiar with FRAPS and stuff
in a few weeks (or maybe month...) .

There's not too many mods for British CMFI kit ... how does one get access to the original game graphics files like modders do?... anybody know?

Well, on a Windows PC you should use the "RezExplode" tool in the "Mod Tools" directory to explode the individual .brz files from the "Data" directory. This should give you all the files you need.

If you're on a Mac, I think you're out of luck, since BFC hasn't yet (as far as i know) released these tools for the Mac. Has this changed yet? Does anybody know?

Well, on a Windows PC you should use the "RezExplode" tool in the "Mod Tools" directory to explode the individual .brz files from the "Data" directory. This should give you all the files you need.

If you're on a Mac, I think you're out of luck, since BFC hasn't yet (as far as i know) released these tools for the Mac. Has this changed yet? Does anybody know?

Thanks -- I'm on PC, so I'll have a try at it.

@Rico - yes, that's the way it goes. :)

And you could also change your troop's plate helmets into paratrooper helmets (for example) by renaming the refering file (is it .mdr files? - don't know at the moment)
-> you copy the file of the para-helmet onto your desktop and give it the name of the plate helmet. Then you put this file into the Z folder and in your next turn
all the soldiers have a new helmet on their heads. ;)

This way I changed the German officer's caps with those of the Panzer commanders and my StuG and Wespe crews used to wear steel helmets instead of their
original caps. But this was before Upgrade 2.0 - haven't tried it again since the Upgrade was installed.

@Rico - yes, that's the way it goes. :)

And you could also change your troop's plate helmets into paratrooper helmets (for example) by renaming the refering file (is it .mdr files? - don't know at the moment)
-> you copy the file of the para-helmet onto your desktop and give it the name of the plate helmet. Then you put this file into the Z folder and in your next turn
all the soldiers have a new helmet on their heads. ;)

This way I changed the German officer's caps with those of the Panzer commanders and my StuG and Wespe crews used to wear steel helmets instead of their
original caps. But this was before Upgrade 2.0 - haven't tried it again since the Upgrade was installed.

Very cool -- I think I can now build a Rico-Shorker War mod folder that just holds all the insignia image bmp's ... and pop it in and out of the Mods folder when I'mnot playing R-S War battles :D

Rico your campaign has inspired me to look into developing another 'grand campaign'.

Although I've only played around with a few ideas so far, the issue of recording casualties is bugging me. I realise if trying to incorporate casualties into a multiplayer campaign it is always going to necessitate a fair bit of admin, manually updating forces at the players' disposal after a battle has been fought. But what do people think would be easiest way? Would it be Combat Mission Recorder (http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=314&func=finishdown&id=2762)? When I tried downloading this version the CM recorder software didn't seem to be in the download file. Instead there just seems to be a load of the maker's CM related files. Anyone know where I can get a copy from?

I would also like to incorporate an 'exit zone' option for scenarios fought as part of the campaign, so if a defending force is facing a hopeless situation, the defending player would have the option to move his troops into an exit zone. However, when looking at CM's after action report, I realised it doesn't detail the men withdrawn using an exit zone. Should CM recorder be able to help get round this?

@Odin

I played in a CMBB campaign once that had each player calculate their own casualties after each battle, and update an xls. spreadsheet each player maintained. It was a lot of work for the player, but there's nothing wrong with that given how much work a GM or admin is faced with.

It was a little clunky, but it worked.

Rico your campaign has inspired me to look into developing another 'grand campaign'.

Although I've only played around with a few ideas so far, the issue of recording casualties is bugging me. I realise if trying to incorporate casualties into a multiplayer campaign it is always going to necessitate a fair bit of admin, manually updating forces at the players' disposal after a battle has been fought. But what do people think would be easiest way? Would it be Combat Mission Recorder (http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=314&func=finishdown&id=2762)? When I tried downloading this version the CM recorder software didn't seem to be in the download file. Instead there just seems to be a load of the maker's CM related files. Anyone know where I can get a copy from?

I would also like to incorporate an 'exit zone' option for scenarios fought as part of the campaign, so if a defending force is facing a hopeless situation, the defending player would have the option to move his troops into an exit zone. However, when looking at CM's after action report, I realised it doesn't detail the men withdrawn using an exit zone. Should CM recorder be able to help get round this?
neat mod but I do not think it works with anything later than XP. Not sure if he updated it.

I did exactly that for the Heraklion campaign (worked very well at the scale, but crazy ammount of work) :eek: -- a British airborne assault on a fictional med island -- company-sized battle groups with manually virtually tracking every casualty (but rounding up inf squads and teams to either full or 50% strength).- -was quite a bit of work. Also helped maintain total FOW with limited briefings for each CO to work from. (see sample below)

I added "withdrawal zones to every map" -- a strip where the terrain drops off sharply creating a LOS-free area (see basic rule below) -- tha attacker could fire into the withdrawal zone if he reached it in time, but not enter it.
(worked pretty well)

WITHDRAWALS
1: ATTACKER: At any time in the battle an attacker may call of an attack after TURN 10.
2: DEFENDER: A defender may withdraw from the battlefield by withdrawing his units into the WITHDRAWAL ZONE (see below)
WITHDRAWAL ZONE
At the rear of each Defenders side of the map will be added a WITHDRAWAL ZONE.
This is a strip of dead ground to which a Defender may pull back his units if he intends to stage a WITHDRAWAL. At any stage in the battle, if the Defender decides that all or sufficient of his units have reached the WITHDRAWAL ZONE, he can announce that he has WITHDRAWN from the battle. The battle is then immediately halted and the file sent to the GM for analysis. Any defending units NOT in the WITHDRAWAL ZONE when the battle is halted, are considered captured by the attacker.
The DEFENDER may NOT set up any of his units in the WITHDRAWAL ZONE at the start of the battle.

Last edited:
Ok - -back to the Rico-Shorker Wars.

In the south of the island, after some brutal fighting and heavy infantry losses, the attacking PRRAF forces are sensing victory at last, as they storm the enemy hilltop trench and bunker complex.

In these two photos Cpl Lumsden's rifle section captures an entrenched PAK position with Cpl Nesbitt's Sherman in support. (an enemy MG bunker can be seen in the background)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile up north in the Rio Plasho bridgehead, it's mostly bad news.

After ambushing the enemy halftrack, the exposed Paras get shot to pieces by follow-up armoured vehicles and the two survivors surrender.

Last edited:

@Odin: @Odin

I am also experimenting with setting up a new large multiplayer campaign. And there is only one really annoying factor. Keep track of casualties. I am not yet ready for abstracting it too much (like steps in a boardgame) as I want it as close as possible to the real battle outcomes. And I also tried the Combat Recorder (and the OOB recorder) but I am sad to tell you it doesn`t really works anymore. The version is too old and all the new stuff incorporated with MG (and I think changes in OOBs for Normandy and CW module) is not included in the quite old versions of these programs. So unfortunately these programs do not work satisfactory. If you come up with a good way to keep track of casualties please let me know. It causes me headaches all the time I try to work something out which is working without spending days counting the casualties of bigger operations.

I am also experimenting with setting up a new large multiplayer campaign. And there is only one really annoying factor. Keep track of casualties. I am not yet ready for abstracting it too much (like steps in a boardgame) as I want it as close as possible to the real battle outcomes. And I also tried the Combat Recorder (and the OOB recorder) but I am sad to tell you it doesn`t really works anymore. The version is too old and all the new stuff incorporated with MG (and I think changes in OOBs for Normandy and CW module) is not included in the quite old versions of these programs. So unfortunately these programs do not work satisfactory. If you come up with a good way to keep track of casualties please let me know. It causes me headaches all the time I try to work something out which is working without spending days counting the casualties of bigger operations.

@Odin @Strachwitz -- maye we should move this discussion out of this thread into its own thread? whistling

Sorry Rico, I'll start new thread.

Nice bit of hand to hand combat by the way

More snapshots from the victorious fighting on the southern front have been released by the People's Republic of Rico Ministry of Defense .

The last remaining Shorker Reich bunker position holding out and intent on fighting to the last bullet ... Sherman tanks creep closer to finish them off.

The panoramic view enjoyed by the Shorker Reich defenders from their hill top defensive positions. Extensive use was made of smoke shells by PRRAF forces in an attempt to keep infantry casualties down from the bunker MG's raking the valleys and hills below. Enemy AT guns only managed to destroy one Sherman tanks before they were suppressed by mortar fire.

Latest news from the Rico-Shorker War front lines!

In the south, the coastal pass through the Western Hills has been opened up as the PRRAF forces achieve a hard-fought victory over the Shorker forces dug in in their hill top bunker and trench lines.

The open plains of farmland leading to the town of Westerwalde or the center of the island beckon!

In the north, PRRAF paratroopers are still fighting for their lives to deny the Shorker panzer forces an easy victory on the open plain of the Rio Plasho bridgehead!
All this to gain time for the rest of the PRRAF army to dig in along the Rio Plasho itself and hopefully keep the Shorker hordes from overrunning the north of the People's Republic of Rico!

The northern battle has also ended, and PRRAF GHQ is relieved that the brave paratroopers limited the Shorker PanzerKampfgruppe to a Minor Victory, inflicting a satisfying number of casualties on the enemy, considering the wide open terrain.
(although in all fairness ... if the battle had gone on 5 minutes longer or so, the paras on the objective would've been wiped out -- I think Shorker may have been a little too cautious not realising he had eliminated all my AT assets quite early on :D )

So this is how the situation stands for the next battle. In the south the Rico forces have an initiative hex with a 10% points bonus for their next attack courtesy of tehir Total Victory.
In the north, the Shorker forces have gained the initiative hex for their victory, but due to it only being a Minor, they gain no bonus.

The weather die roll has determined clear weather for the next turn, so the air forces can come into play.

The Rico Naval unit is in port for this turn for repairs after taking a beating from the original naval engagment - so the Shorker navy is free to engage in shore bombardment fire support missions.

Ready for our next moves.

@Rico

OK, I'm attacking from F7 into F6 then. I'm using my airforce in my defensive battle (ground attack). My fleet moves to M8, please.

Back