Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
"ORANGE MAN BAD!!"

Ha! Never heard that one, good one.

Fascinating how hardly anybody in China died from the virus for the last month. After the number of deaths increased to about 3000 early in the outbreak, the rest of the 80,000 infected people just recovered little by little. According to official Chinese government statistics :censored:

Edit: Just found out there was a report about this yesterday - I just posted it because I've been wondering about the numbers for some time now.
I'm not an epidemologist. I just think the numbers seem fishy.

View attachment 18201

Very fishy.

Wonder if the number of those who have been shot have risen? (Joking :p )

4bb.jpg

:p

It's gonna be tough times in the months ahead, men, both physically and fiscally, for many of us. You would think that I, working in a hospital, would be immune (lol) to the fiscal part, but that isn't the case. Our outpatient load in diagnostic imaging has hit new lows, because, who would have thunk, nobody wants to come to the hospital unless they absolutely have to. So management has asked us to "flex" hours, meaning go home without pay (or use your vacation time to make up the difference), when it's slow. I'm not complaining. There are many right now who are laid off and/or have no job to go to. I'm grateful for what hours I get to work, and gladly do whatever work I am given.

Am I worried about getting sick? A little, but I've been doing this for thirty two years now, and have been exposed to pretty much everything at this point, and I am a healthy 54 year old, so no, I'm not gonna stay home from work because of a virus.

Take care everybody, and stay safe.

Oh, and BTW @mTk , management is now making us wear surgical masks during all patient contact. Normal surgical masks probably do little to prevent the spread of COVID, but, IMO, it gives the illusion of "taking precautions". N95 masks, the real protection, are in short supply.

Oh, and BTW @mTk , management is now making us wear surgical masks during all patient contact. Normal surgical masks probably do little to prevent the spread of COVID, but, IMO, it gives the illusion of "taking precautions". N95 masks, the real protection, are in short supply.

The regular masks prevent you from touching your mouth and nose though. I think that's one of the really big infection pathways - people sneezing in their hand, then touching a door handle, then someone else opening that door and five minutes later picking their nose. The mask is a good reminder not to.

I'm not wearing any mask over here, and it's rare to see somebody who does, but I'm pretty wary about touching stuff.

Continuing with the ritual of every Thursday, unfortunately we see that we exceed one million cases in the world.
The cases have been doubling week after week.!!
This all originated from a damn bat?

March 12
ZhLNhtr.png

March 19
HbHvkJ3.png

March 26
yorW7hK.png

April 2
rXVIWvR.png

Here, for now, the total number of infected cases is 1265, while the deceased is 36.

On the subject of face masks, I wore one yesterday for the first time for a trip to the main supermarket near me. I also wore gloves. I was definitely in the minority, I'd say perhaps 1 in 20 people were also wearing masks. As I was picking up the items on the shopping list I was wondering how many people have touched these items then rubbed their eye or scratched their nose.

Any notion that I may have had that I was being over cautious was quickly put to bed when I noticed a lady in her fifties continuously coughing as she walked around. I gave her a wide berth, then noticed 5 minutes later she was surrounded by staff trying to keep a safe distance, sitting on a chair and struggling to breathe. 5 minutes after that paramedics arrived and put her on oxygen then carted her off to the hospital.

The most worrying thing about this is that if this had happened in a week or two, there might not have been any paramedics available to attend.

Last edited:
80% of us who get infected will only display mild symptoms. Initially this can give us a sense that it's not that bad. For the unfortunate 20% it means hospitalisation. Statistics I have seen suggest that 1 in 4 of people being admitted to hospital require admission to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU). Of those admitted to the ICU, only half come back out alive. This gives Covid-19 a mortality rate of 2.5%, meaning that if you get infected with the Coronavirus, you have a 97.5% chance of surviving....sounds pretty good!?

On D-Day an estimated 2,500 Allied troops were killed out of an invasion force of 156,000. (figures from Wikipedia, historians feel free to correct me)

2500/156000 x 100 = 1.6% killed

On average you had a 98.4% chance of surviving D-Day, but that doesn't mean that you didn't have the right to shit your pants when you hit the beach!

Last edited:
80% of us who get infected will only display mild symptoms. Initially this can give us a sense that it's not that bad. For the unfortunate 20% it means hospitalisation. Statistics I have seen suggest that 1 in 4 of people being admitted to hospital require admission to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU). Of those admitted to the ICU, only half come back out alive. This gives Covid-19 a mortality rate of 2.5%, meaning that if you get infected with the Coronavirus, you have a 97.5% chance of surviving....sounds pretty good!?

On D-Day an estimated 2,500 Allied troops were killed out of an invasion force of 156,000. (figures from Wikipedia, historians feel free to correct me)

2500/156000 x 100 = 1.6% killed

On average you had a 98.4% chance of surviving D-Day, but that doesn't mean that you didn't have the right to shit your pants when you hit the beach!

Your chance of surviving also heavily depended on which wave you were in. And in the same way, your risk of dying from this new virus also heavily depends on how young and otherwise healthy you are. So it's not quite russian roulette. But yes, it's of course serious.

On the subject of face masks, I wore one yesterday for the first time for a trip to the main supermarket near me. I also wore gloves. I was definitely in the minority, I'd say perhaps 1 in 20 people were also wearing masks. As I was picking up the items on the shopping list I was wondering how many people have touched these items then rubbed their eye or scratched their nose.

Any notion that I may have had that I was being over cautious was quickly put to bed when I noticed a lady in her fifties continuously coughing as she walked around. I gave her a wide berth, then noticed 5 minutes later she was surrounded by staff trying to keep a safe distance, sitting on a chair and struggling to breathe. 5 minutes after that paramedics arrived and put her on oxygen then carted her off to the hospital.

The most worrying thing about this is that if this had happened in a week or two, there might not have been any paramedics available to attend.

My wife had us wearing gloves and wiping down grocery shopping with anti-bacterial wipes weeks before the lock down. I obliged because it made her feel more secure, the Government now advises wiping down all shopping with diluted bleach....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back