Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
IevxGI7.jpg

Haha! This is me kicking Nelson’s ass in FOG II. Are you saying I’m the Coronavirus? How dare you! :p

That goes for any topic in this country - health, politics, anything. I get the paper for the sports, the obits and the crossword puzzle...I don't watch any news, unless it's the BBC. US news organizations are biased to the point of being a joke. Someone they don't like says "black", they say "white".

If you think the BBC is unbiased, I got a bridge to sell you. The days of the BBC being the unimpeachable bastion of journalistic integrity are long gone.

If you think the BBC is unbiased, I got a bridge to sell you. The days of the BBC being the unimpeachable bastion of journalistic integrity are long gone.

I subscribed to some UK websites a few years ago to follow Brexit since it was not followed as closely by the US media. I usually just switch over to BBC when a big event happens somewhere in Europe. On the websites I was surprised to read so many negative comments about the BBC by people living in the UK. Some refer to it as the Brussels Broadcasting Corporation (by the content of their comments this was a bad thing). Many of them talk about it just as negatively as Americans talk about the US media. I don't watch the BBC enough myself to really have an opinion on it. But apparently the lack of trust in the media is not just confined to the USA.

On our subscription service Foxtel, CNN and Fox news are adjacent channels.
Incredible to switch back and forth between them. So shrill, so myopic, so irrelevant.

The BBC (and even the ABC - Australian Broadcasting Corp) have had issues with integrity and quality, but can be useful.
When I want at least semi credible world news I tend to watch Al Jazeera.

I also watch unusual stuff like stations from China, Russia and Turkey.
Not to be taken seriously, but it is interesting to see what angle they come at stories.
You can sometimes gain unexpected insights.

I blame all of the media circuses on Dan Rather. Now, if Geraldo would have just found Al Capone's treasure, just think how good things would be...

Reactions: mTk
I can trace the problem to a quote (allegedly) made by a CBS executive way back in the day. Paraphrased. “The good news is that for the first time a major news organization has made a profit. The bad news, is that for the first time a major news organization has made a profit.”
Look, I love capitalism, but there are certain things in society it should not be involved in at all. Once it became a profitable business, it searches for customers, not the truth.

I can trace the problem to a quote (allegedly) made by a CBS executive way back in the day. Paraphrased. “The good news is that for the first time a major news organization has made a profit. The bad news, is that for the first time a major news organization has made a profit.”
Look, I love capitalism, but there are certain things in society it should not be involved in at all. Once it became a profitable business, it searches for customers, not the truth.

Well said, could also add healthcare and prisons to that list too.

I'm old enough to remember when people used to believe what the (U.S.) media reported.
Different times indeed. When the media didn't have its own agenda and it merely reported events as they occurred; without including their opinions about them.
-----
DNVVLIc.jpg

I'm not from that era or place, but I seem to recollect in some analysis of the Vietnam War and the intervention in Latin America how the media drove the conversation to make an appeal for the interests of the government and made very questionable decisions to have high approval. The CIA had key pieces in some parts of the media and the FBI was all over the place. And then you could go back right to the 1899 war with Spain and the push given into by Randolph Hearst.

I think that you have nostalgia for those times, but there have been always a media drove by a political agenda. Now we can see it more clearly because there are different agendas going around, instead of the usually more unified version that we had before (it applies to my country also, which in many ways mirrored many of yours political attitudes).

In the context of the situation right now it's difficult to see a complete unbiased channel, but we can make sense from all of it. Keeping on the facts and common sense. If Fox said that the COVID-19 was a democrat conspiracy but then the bodycount begins to go up, it can't be fully trusted. If CNN do a better job informing and then they made very partisan remarks about the problem, it can't be fully trusted. But something between both should made sense (again in my country there is a similar thing, but it's like massive media (pro gov) vs other forms of journalism (opposition))

Markojager, very good salient points. There has always been someone pushing some kind of agenda in the way news gets reported. In the US there is such an adversarial political and social environment the press is not even giving the pretense of fair reporting. I don't need, for example, a Cuomo or a Stephanoupolis with their outright political lineage, reporting the news because you know right from the start it will be biased in one way. Maybe I should start watching the news on PBS or is it just as bad?

Markojager, very good salient points. There has always been someone pushing some kind of agenda in the way news gets reported. In the US there is such an adversarial political and social environment the press is not even giving the pretense of fair reporting. I don't need, for example, a Cuomo or a Stephanoupolis with their outright political lineage, reporting the news because you know right from the start it will be biased in one way. Maybe I should start watching the news on PBS or is it just as bad?

The real news programs on all networks in the US are during the day. Sure they have a slant, but it is manageable. The problem is, most people don’t watch during the day. They get home from work, tune in to their designated politically aligned channel, and get their “news” from the likes of Laura Ingram, Don Lemmon, Rachael Maddow, or Sean Hannity. Those are not news programs. They are designed to either confirm your own political biases, infuriate you, or most likely both. This drives up ratings. These people don’t care about you, the country, or truth. They care about lining their pockets with money and getting great ratings.

Back on subject.....

We've had several confirmed positive COVID patients at the health system I work for here in NE Tennessee. Some deaths, but it's hard to say if they were directly related to COVID or not, as there are comorbidity issues. Management doesn't like to share statistics with front line workers, as they themselves probably don't really know what is actually going on, and are just trying to follow CDC recommendations and appear "in charge", and "concerned".

Layoffs have already happened (I wasn't affected, yet). Elective surgeries/imaging are severely impacted.

At some point, soon, we, as a state and as a nation are going to have to get back to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back