Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
You've heard of Cousin It. Well, this was mTk before his haircut.

tAVrkYs.jpg

Upping the re-lock down of 36(?) or so suburbs here in Melbourne over the last few days, today the Premier has just today hard-locked down 9 public-housing towers, with over 3000 residents (23 known cases in them so far). They cannot leave for any reason except an emergency.

7395252-16x9-xlarge.jpg

Don't get me started, this is a joke, I was working in Footscray West last Thursday/Friday, at any given time I could count 8-15 people out and about just in my view.

Sure hope that protest last month was worth it.
Well according to the media only people at candidate election rallies and beachgoers spread the virus. But apparently not protestors. Right.

i have also read somewhere that in some states contact tracers are not recording whether a person was involved in protests . Things that make you go “what?”

And so the world's scientists are publishing a paper that says the virus is spread through airborne transmission. What was your first ten clues or so? Now, if the virus allegedly does not survive in sunlight and high heat, explain the massive outbreak in the US Sunbelt? Well, try everyone has moved into enclosed spaces where the air conditioning is. I don't have a PhD after my name, but I figured that out pretty quickly.

And so the world's scientists are publishing a paper that says the virus is spread through airborne transmission.

I don't think it's airborne. Because in DK, most people never wore masks, and still there's almost no corona infections left. (a total of 23 cases in hospital at the moment of writing)

So if it isn't transmitted via airborne dissemination, how is it transmitted?

People touching their mouth/nose, then door handles, cash, stuff in the supermarket, the subway, etc.

Also if people cough each other in the face, but that happens pretty rarely in most cultures.

Sign:
If you come into the store without a mask we will have to take your temperature!
P.S. We only have rectal thermometers.
Do you know the difference between oral thermometers and rectal thermometers?

Wait for it ...

The taste.

Thank you. I’ll be here all week. Try the veal. :LOL:

Not sure what China or the WHO did better this time around. This current situation is much worse than I remember SARS.
The spread of COVID19 is more wide spread than SARS not because of a particular government move but the way the virus acts. SARS is deadlier but harder to catch (not hard, just harder than COVID19). So, my comment on China doing better was based on them being more open with information *after* the outbreak was known than they were with SARS. Clearly that's a low bar - I didn't mean to say they did anything like a good job after all they still tried to pretend it wasn't real at all and hurt their own citizens because of it and they have clearly revered to sending out a lot of BS since.

I was listening to a researcher who said these kinds of respiratory viruses are worse (for us) if they like to live deep in our lungs but they don't spread as easily because there is less virus available in the upper respiratory tract to get coughed up. Things like colds are easy to spread but stay high up in our respiratory tract so very few people die from them. COVID19 and the flu like to be deeper in so they are dangerous but not as deep as SARS. I don't have a source that I can link - I forget what show it was on or who the Dr was. It makes some sense so I'm kinda using it as my mental model for now.

The WHO needs to report credibly and reliably on health concerns to be effective.
Yeah and that's a issue. The bad actions of China are all over that. Remember the WHO representative who stopped an interview becasue he was asked about the status of Taiwan. That's insane. China used $ and some whiley diplomacy to fuck that organization up. We (collectively) need to un-fuck it and take steps to stop that kind of nonsense from China. IHMO.

And so the world's scientists are publishing a paper that says the virus is spread through airborne transmission. What was your first ten clues or so?
LOL yep. But that paper you are referring to is only making the claim that there are virus particles that linger in the air for longer than we first thought. Researchers knew early on that the virus is spread from droplets from our speech, cough etc. The way it works for flu, for example, as I'm sure you know, is that people cough and get droplets on their hands and touch door handles etc and the droplets fall on counter tops and then someone else comes along and touches those surfaces. Obviously if some dumb-ass with the flu coughs in your face you can skip the touching surfaces step :) .

Those modes of transmission have been well under stood for a long time for other viruses and quickly were recognized as the way COVID19 spread too. The paper you are referring to really just says: "hey we keep thinking this virus is not present in the smallest droplets we emit when we breath but we see otherwise". Really what that paper is saying is that they believe they have shown that COVID19 does get delivered in those smallest droplets that can float in the air for a while. As with all things science that was one study and more people need to verify the same results. But it does put more weight to the argument that people should be wearing masks because it cuts down on the number of particles that we eject of all sizes.

Now, if the virus allegedly does not survive in sunlight and high heat, explain the massive outbreak in the US Sunbelt? Well, try everyone has moved into enclosed spaces where the air conditioning is. I don't have a PhD after my name, but I figured that out pretty quickly.
LOL - yep again. Some of the early work on virus survival showed lots of variation based on the type of surface and the temperature. But the thing is in any situation where we can live and walk around that time was never really short the shortest I remember reading about for conditions or surfaces that we live in was 24 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back