Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pay peanuts, you get monkeys. Works in the public sector as well. Trying to minimise cost with some minimum wage private security guard instead of using your own forces who are actually more attached to their jobs was just stupid. Someone on $20 hr won't be as attached to their job compared to someone earning $50 hr.

<Economist hat on>
Labour turnover / churn is less for higher paid professionals where the workforce has longer lead times (education and training) for entry generally stick around longer. ie. A large retail firm is likely constantly advertising for Sales Assistants for when one comes in another decides to move on. On the other hand a Dentist working at a practice will probably stick around for years, while Surgeons usually stay in the job for life. Where do you think the security guard with a wheaties box Certificate in Crowd Control fits in that sliding scale?
<Economist hat off>

Wait why are you all asleep? :p

How low must the guy's self discipline have been? How high his self interest.
He bones a woman who's infected with a pandemic virus - that he's supposed to be guarding. So that it doesn't spread.
Then he goes off into society to spread it.
You had ONE JOB to do, knucklehead.

Reactions: mTk
How low must the guy's self discipline have been? How high his self interest.
He bones a woman who's infected with a pandemic virus - that he's supposed to be guarding. So that it doesn't spread.

Hey, voodoo poonannie, get's you every time...she was clearly all about spreading...her legs...

I don't know if any of you guys have been tested, but here is my family's experience. My son was tested on July 2nd, a couple of days after he was exposed to a person that he works with who tested positive. His employer said he had to be tested and could not come back until he had a negative result. So my son, who is a college student, has an apartment in Lawrence but is staying in my house to be closer to his job, isolated himself in his room and minimized his contacts with me, who has some risk due to a compromised immune system and his mother. He was told to expect results within 2-4 days. He had the conventional test run, but also the anti-body test primarily because last fall he contracted something that he eventually gave to me and then his mother that had eerily similar symptoms to what has become COVID, for which he, my wife and myself were treated for in late November, early December of 2019. Meanwhile, I had a trip scheduled to work at a Federal facility in Colorado for about a week and they had issued very concise COVID policies. So on day 5 after the test my son starts calling, goes online to check, etc. to get his results. Nothing...but he does have the antibody test results that say "negative". At day 6 still no results. The testing facility says at that point it could be 6-8 days. At this point, I contact my boss and we discuss the situation with the company owner on putting together a backup plan if my son does not get results back by this past Monday. They also told me to get a test, but by the time I get to the testing facility (that is in my health insurance network and the site my insurance gave me to go to), it is booked through the end of the day. So I eventually get a test after getting up at 4:00 am, going to the testing facilities website, and holding a place in line. I eventually get in, but they claim they called me when my time was scheduled, but I got no call or text and until I finally went over there to inquire they got me in. They had my number, etc, but I looked through my call log and I never got a call. In the interim my son still has not gotten his results on day 7, day 8, day 9....well you get the picture. I ended up calling the testing facility owner's corporate office and spoke with an executive VP (twice) in charge of the clinics conducting the tests. He was able to confirm that the labs got my son's samples on the same day, but that's all the information he had. We had a frank discussion and Bottomline was once the samples go to the lab it is totally dependent on the lab's performance. He detailed that he had some clients who got their results back the next day, most were 2-4 days, although he admitted that the results window was extending to 5-8 days and in exceptional cases 11-13 days. My son inquired with the Clinic's manager at day 9 and was told outright that people showing no symptoms test were the lowest priority to test. Persons with symptoms were the highest priority. In a frank discussion I had with the doctor at the clinic he was telling me that his observation is that the priority for testing has moved away from health care workers and retirement home residents and elective surgery patients are now a higher priority to test. Why? Because elective surgery is a cash cow for hospitals and doctors. We also discussed why asymptomatic people were a lower priority than persons with symptoms. My take is if a person has symptoms they should be self-quarantining anyway, so IMO asymptomatic people should be tested first so that if they test positive, they will know to self-quarantine. Seems stupid to me to make people that are visibly sick who should be quarantining anyway the higher priority. So my son gets his results this morning, he is negative, but his test was 12 days ago. He would be out of self-quarantine in 2 days anyway. He has never shown a symptom, not one. I am still waiting for my test results, day 6 and in the interim, I was not allowed to go on my trip, a substitute had to go. The bottom line is that the labs are just swamped and at this point, testing might be a moot point. I think at this point the government needs to stress effective treatments, collect the plasma from COVID folks and gear that up, not piss around with test you can't get results for in days and now weeks. As for what my family had last fall, the clinic's doctor told me that about that time frame the had a fair number of folks who came in with COVID like symptoms, tested negative for the flu, and life went on. That's what happened in my case, but frankly, there were two nights there were I couldn't breathe to the point that the second night I thought I might be a goner. My wife thought I had pneumonia, it was that bad. But point is that the doctor and his peers are thinking that rash of "flu that did not test as flu" might have been COVID - before Christmas. Who knows?

I don't know if any of you guys have been tested, but here is my family's experience. <snip>

Yikes that's a shit show for sure. Testing is all over the map in terms of quality and execution. In Canada Ontario and Quebec have the most cases. QC has three times the deaths a ON and over double the people in hospital and yet they are running at a daily testing rate that is less than half that of ON. My son is in Montreal (QC) and is being very careful - thankfully the grocery stores are being careful too. Since that is pretty much the only place he goes, I don't worry to much about him. My Daughter is in Kingston (ON) where they started opening up and had an outbreak very soon after that was traced to a nail salon where the protocols were not being followed. How does this relate to testing? Because ON has a testing network built up, the Kingston public health people were able to track down and get several hundred people tested very fast and get those that needed to remain quarantined notified and those that did not back to their lives. It worked pretty well. I hope the case load stays manageable and the testing continues to work to allow that to be repeated. That will allow us to continue to stay somewhat open.

My own family's experience with testing is: My Father In Law woke up with a head ache decided he needed testing (paranoid much) and make a phone call to a central number and got a location to go to. He went there before lunch and was back by lunch and had his negative test in 50 hours or so. Seems like ON has things working fairly well with regards to tests. Now - it didn't start off that way.

I don't know if any of you guys have been tested, but here is my family's experience. My son was tested on July 2nd, a couple of days after he was exposed to a person that he works with who tested positive. His employer said he had to be tested and could not come back until he had a negative result. So my son, who is a college student, has an apartment in Lawrence but is staying in my house to be closer to his job, isolated himself in his room and minimized his contacts with me, who has some risk due to a compromised immune system and his mother. He was told to expect results within 2-4 days. He had the conventional test run, but also the anti-body test primarily because last fall he contracted something that he eventually gave to me and then his mother that had eerily similar symptoms to what has become COVID, for which he, my wife and myself were treated for in late November, early December of 2019. Meanwhile, I had a trip scheduled to work at a Federal facility in Colorado for about a week and they had issued very concise COVID policies. So on day 5 after the test my son starts calling, goes online to check, etc. to get his results. Nothing...but he does have the antibody test results that say "negative". At day 6 still no results. The testing facility says at that point it could be 6-8 days. At this point, I contact my boss and we discuss the situation with the company owner on putting together a backup plan if my son does not get results back by this past Monday. They also told me to get a test, but by the time I get to the testing facility (that is in my health insurance network and the site my insurance gave me to go to), it is booked through the end of the day. So I eventually get a test after getting up at 4:00 am, going to the testing facilities website, and holding a place in line. I eventually get in, but they claim they called me when my time was scheduled, but I got no call or text and until I finally went over there to inquire they got me in. They had my number, etc, but I looked through my call log and I never got a call. In the interim my son still has not gotten his results on day 7, day 8, day 9....well you get the picture. I ended up calling the testing facility owner's corporate office and spoke with an executive VP (twice) in charge of the clinics conducting the tests. He was able to confirm that the labs got my son's samples on the same day, but that's all the information he had. We had a frank discussion and Bottomline was once the samples go to the lab it is totally dependent on the lab's performance. He detailed that he had some clients who got their results back the next day, most were 2-4 days, although he admitted that the results window was extending to 5-8 days and in exceptional cases 11-13 days. My son inquired with the Clinic's manager at day 9 and was told outright that people showing no symptoms test were the lowest priority to test. Persons with symptoms were the highest priority. In a frank discussion I had with the doctor at the clinic he was telling me that his observation is that the priority for testing has moved away from health care workers and retirement home residents and elective surgery patients are now a higher priority to test. Why? Because elective surgery is a cash cow for hospitals and doctors. We also discussed why asymptomatic people were a lower priority than persons with symptoms. My take is if a person has symptoms they should be self-quarantining anyway, so IMO asymptomatic people should be tested first so that if they test positive, they will know to self-quarantine. Seems stupid to me to make people that are visibly sick who should be quarantining anyway the higher priority. So my son gets his results this morning, he is negative, but his test was 12 days ago. He would be out of self-quarantine in 2 days anyway. He has never shown a symptom, not one. I am still waiting for my test results, day 6 and in the interim, I was not allowed to go on my trip, a substitute had to go. The bottom line is that the labs are just swamped and at this point, testing might be a moot point. I think at this point the government needs to stress effective treatments, collect the plasma from COVID folks and gear that up, not piss around with test you can't get results for in days and now weeks. As for what my family had last fall, the clinic's doctor told me that about that time frame the had a fair number of folks who came in with COVID like symptoms, tested negative for the flu, and life went on. That's what happened in my case, but frankly, there were two nights there were I couldn't breathe to the point that the second night I thought I might be a goner. My wife thought I had pneumonia, it was that bad. But point is that the doctor and his peers are thinking that rash of "flu that did not test as flu" might have been COVID - before Christmas. Who knows?

Well, HOA...... Kansas City is a hot spot and has been since the beginning whether the testing shows it or not. My brother (lives in KC) had the same thing you describe, also in November. He is in excellent health and is never sick, but went to the Doc three times in a month, and was told each time it was just a bad flu. He thought he had cancer or something with the dry, painful cough that wouldn’t go away. We were all worried because no one could even remember the last time he was sick.But if it was COVID, then you can get it again, because he and his entire family just tested positive this weekend. Only one person is showing bad symptoms (Which is why they all went in to get tested), but they are a very fit, active family. My brother is hoarse and very tired during the day, but so far that is it. Obviously they notified people they had been around and are quarantined, but have received no contact from anyone official.
They had been careful so don’t know where they got it. Of course, they noticed people have gotten very lax these days where they live, which is pretty much a country wide phenomenon.

Yeah, with that November thing my kid came home, said he didn't feel well, and then slept about 30 hours. When it hit me, I went down for a day, then had that dry cough constantly for 4 days, couldn't hardly breathe for 2 days, averaging about 30 minutes sleep a night. My temperature was on a roller coaster, fever spiking, then chills. One night I had a super high fever, I could just tell. The next night my fever spiked again and I went up and put the thermometer under my arm and when it beeped I pulled it out and it said 105. Well, you add a degree so that would have been 106. I thought "F*ck, I'm a dead man". I just laid down , made myself comfy and waited for the reaper. He didn't show, it took me about 4 weeks to recover and last week my temperature was a whopping 97.2 when I got tested.

And I am going to tell you, I was a little bit fearful of getting tested because you know sick people are in there to begin with. As for KC being a hot spot, my wife told me Sunday that she may have been exposed at work. What the testing is telling me and the spikes is that this virus infection is far more widespread than they could even imagine. So much for the virus not surviving in hot weather and sunlight.

But to hear the media tell it the protests are not responsible for the spikes. Just election rally's and going to the beach. That's not a political comment, just an observation. What I want to know is true is whether some governors and mayors are forbidding contact tracers to ask if positive results people were involved in the demonstrations. Is that the case? If so, then consider my post a diatribe against the press for not reporting that...

And I am going to tell you, I was a little bit fearful of getting tested because you know sick people are in there to begin with. As for KC being a hot spot, my wife told me Sunday that she may have been exposed at work. What the testing is telling me and the spikes is that this virus infection is far more widespread than they could even imagine. So much for the virus not surviving in hot weather and sunlight.

But to hear the media tell it the protests are not responsible for the spikes. Just election rally's and going to the beach. That's not a political comment, just an observation. What I want to know is true is whether some governors and mayors are forbidding contact tracers to ask if positive results people were involved in the demonstrations. Is that the case? If so, then consider my post a diatribe against the press for not reporting that...
:p

Interesting. I hear the media talk about the gathering of protests with/without masks and the effects on spreading quite often. But I watch during the day on the actual newscasts, and avoid the "personalities" like the plague (no pun intended)! But it appears clear to me that there are a HELL of lot more people packing the beach and or other summer economies than are protesting. Just look at the leaders in the clubhouse (California, Texas, Florida, Arizona, Great Lake states). And don't get me started on the political "rallies." Absolutely no excuse to be having those indoors with no masks or distancing. Get the experts involved, rent out a football field, make everyone wear a mask, use the PA. Then you can politicize away.
As far as contact tracing, I think most States aren't even bothering, no matter what the suspected avenue of infection. I know for a fact Missouri isn't! Oregon, Washington, and California are. I suspect Texas, Florida, Illinois, and Arizona are not, simply because the health departments are massively overwhelmed (if they even intended on doing it in the first place).
Of course, Florida being Florida, they have anti-mask activists that are harassing Major League Baseball players in the grocery store for wearing a mask. I doubt this anti-mask effort is wide spread. Even if it is Florida.

:p

Interesting. I hear the media talk about the gathering of protests with/without masks and the effects on spreading quite often. But I watch during the day on the actual newscasts, and avoid the "personalities" like the plague (no pun intended)! But it appears clear to me that there are a HELL of lot more people packing the beach and or other summer economies than are protesting. Just look at the leaders in the clubhouse (California, Texas, Florida, Arizona, Great Lake states). And don't get me started on the political "rallies." Absolutely no excuse to be having those indoors with no masks or distancing. Get the experts involved, rent out a football field, make everyone wear a mask, use the PA. Then you can politicize away.
As far as contact tracing, I think most States aren't even bothering, no matter what the suspected avenue of infection. I know for a fact Missouri isn't! Oregon, Washington, and California are. I suspect Texas, Florida, Illinois, and Arizona are not, simply because the health departments are massively overwhelmed (if they even intended on doing it in the first place).
Of course, Florida being Florida, they have anti-mask activists that are harassing Major League Baseball players in the grocery store for wearing a mask. I doubt this anti-mask effort is wide spread. Even if it is Florida.
Well they are contact tracing in Cass County MO after some teenage party attended by at least 400 partygoers turned up 20 cases and counting.

Yeah, the idoiticy of having a rally, a protest or going anywhere there’s a crowd is self-evident. But I suspect that some folks are playing the odds. Eight out of ten folks have no or very mild symptoms and recover. If out of the remaining 20 that have medium to severe symptoms, say 3.5 die but 16.5 live, then you chance of survival, fully or partially recovered, is what, 96-97%? For most people that’s enough to risk the beach right?

Of course, they noticed people have gotten very lax these days where they live, which is pretty much a country wide phenomenon.
Yeah we have seen that too. Even in Montreal there were times where it seemed almost normal in the parks. I have had two colleges who have had it / currently have it. One in the UK and one in India (we have a couple of small groups in those locations for 24 hr support).

Well they are contact tracing in Cass County MO after some teenage party attended by at least 400 partygoers turned up 20 cases and counting.

Yeah, the idoiticy of having a rally, a protest or going anywhere there’s a crowd is self-evident. But I suspect that some folks are playing the odds. Eight out of ten folks have no or very mild symptoms and recover. If out of the remaining 20 that have medium to severe symptoms, say 3.5 die but 16.5 live, then you chance of survival, fully or partially recovered, is what, 96-97%? For most people that’s enough to risk the beach right?

Haha! Yep. Of course, these people basically have to extend their middle finger to family members or any other fellow citizens who are in a risk category. But hey, THE BEACH!!

With the way humans asses risk - especially younger ones - yeah sounds good, let's do it! /s
:D

The risk management thing combined with human psychology is a very fascinating subject. Think of it in these terms....note that I haven't bothered to get the exact COVID percentages. So if I told someone I had a jar of 100 peanuts, and 90 of them are just basic peanuts. But 5 of them would make you mildly ill, 3 would make you very ill requiring hospitalization, and 2 would kill you, would they eat a peanut? The answer would almost always be no unless you have a death wish. The difference (I think) lies in the perceived psychological "payoff", not the numbers. Being young and at the beach must be quite the payoff. I'm not too old to forget that... :LOL:. Still not responsible (which is another attribute that can be uncommon with the young).

On the psychology aspect.....even though COVID is making a resurgence, and I work in a hospital that has has several active COVID cases, and new ones coming into the ER (and ER patients are easily half the patients I interact with) all the time, I find myself hardly even giving it a second thought these days. Sure, I wear my surgical mask at work, and now we also are required to wear a plastic face shield, but I really no longer worry about it. I worry more about whether or not my lawn is mowed, and the latest episode of Forged in Fire, than COVID, I kid you not.

Last edited:
The risk management thing combined with human psychology is a very fascinating subject. Think of it in these terms....note that I haven't bothered to get the exact COVID percentages. So if I told someone I had a jar of 100 peanuts, and 90 of them are just basic peanuts. But 5 of them would make you mildly ill, 3 would make you very ill requiring hospitalization, and 2 would kill you, would they eat a peanut? The answer would almost always be no unless you have a death wish. The difference (I think) lies in the perceived psychological "payoff", not the numbers. Being young and at the beach must be quite the payoff. I'm not too old to forget that... :LOL:. Still not responsible (which is another attribute that can be uncommon with the young).
Those beaches though...

Anyway I think most people who choose to 'ignore' the reality, don't really grasp it.

It's the (almost) unbelievable selfishness that staggers me.

And this surprises you in the land of the free(loader) and the home of the (economic) slave? Everybody in this country feels entitled to something.

:geek: I took some shit from a guy not wearing a mask at the gas station last week. He called me a pussy and said the government wasn't going to tell him what to do. I said, "Well you just paid a sales tax, didn't you? The government told you to pay it and you did!". He stormed off mumbling about me being a chickenshit AND a pussy.

And this surprises you in the land of the free(loader) and the home of the (economic) slave? Everybody in this country feels entitled to something.

:geek: I took some shit from a guy not wearing a mask at the gas station last week. He called me a pussy and said the government wasn't going to tell him what to do. I said, "Well you just paid a sales tax, didn't you? The government told you to pay it and you did!". He stormed off mumbling about me being a chickenshit AND a pussy.

That's because you weren't wearing the right mask, pusscake.

jokermask.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back