Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
The spread of COVID19 is more wide spread than SARS not because of a particular government move but the way the virus acts. SARS is deadlier but harder to catch (not hard, just harder than COVID19). So, my comment on China doing better was based on them being more open with information *after* the outbreak was known than they were with SARS. Clearly that's a low bar - I didn't mean to say they did anything like a good job after all they still tried to pretend it wasn't real at all and hurt their own citizens because of it and they have clearly revered to sending out a lot of BS since.

I was listening to a researcher who said these kinds of respiratory viruses are worse (for us) if they like to live deep in our lungs but they don't spread as easily because there is less virus available in the upper respiratory tract to get coughed up. Things like colds are easy to spread but stay high up in our respiratory tract so very few people die from them. COVID19 and the flu like to be deeper in so they are dangerous but not as deep as SARS. I don't have a source that I can link - I forget what show it was on or who the Dr was. It makes some sense so I'm kinda using it as my mental model for now.

Yeah and that's a issue. The bad actions of China are all over that. Remember the WHO representative who stopped an interview becasue he was asked about the status of Taiwan. That's insane. China used $ and some whiley diplomacy to fuck that organization up. We (collectively) need to un-fuck it and take steps to stop that kind of nonsense from China. IHMO.

LOL yep. But that paper you are referring to is only making the claim that there are virus particles that linger in the air for longer than we first thought. Researchers knew early on that the virus is spread from droplets from our speech, cough etc. The way it works for flu, for example, as I'm sure you know, is that people cough and get droplets on their hands and touch door handles etc and the droplets fall on counter tops and then someone else comes along and touches those surfaces. Obviously if some dumb-ass with the flu coughs in your face you can skip the touching surfaces step :) .

Those modes of transmission have been well under stood for a long time for other viruses and quickly were recognized as the way COVID19 spread too. The paper you are referring to really just says: "hey we keep thinking this virus is not present in the smallest droplets we emit when we breath but we see otherwise". Really what that paper is saying is that they believe they have shown that COVID19 does get delivered in those smallest droplets that can float in the air for a while. As with all things science that was one study and more people need to verify the same results. But it does put more weight to the argument that people should be wearing masks because it cuts down on the number of particles that we eject of all sizes.

LOL - yep again. Some of the early work on virus survival showed lots of variation based on the type of surface and the temperature. But the thing is in any situation where we can live and walk around that time was never really short the shortest I remember reading about for conditions or surfaces that we live in was 24 hours.

Meanwhile, I continue to go to work, and...well, you know..... ;-)

922.jpg

So I saw in the wee hours this morning that experts are saying the virus is probably being circulated by air conditioning and they are recommending running Your air conditioner with the windows open. Clearly they own stock in the electric company. With a heat wave coming this week that does not bode well for the US.

Every crack pot warning of what "might" be happening I just ignore.
"Turn off your air conditioner!" LMAO! Yeah, like that's gonna happen.
Wait right here. Hafta go buy some PG&E stock because half of the U.S. will probably get on board with it.
Oh, no, never mind. In CA they are bankrupt as a result of last years fires.
Hard to figure out what to do nowadays. :unsure:

One for the Tin Foil Hat Brigade. A car has been parked in the Adelaide Airport since possibly before the pandemic, with the license plate "COVID-19".

Okay, last week there was a story in the Kansas City Star that said a young man with "no underlying health problems" endured a multiple week ordeal and a fight for life or death after contracting COVID. They had a picture of the young man on the front page. Keep in mind that this fellow was in the hospital for "weeks", but I estimate his weight as being at least 350 pounds +. Hunh? I thought that one of the risk groups was morbidly obese people. So he had a risk factor, but due to what, the journalist didn't want to point out that he was morbidly obese to save his little feelings, we are denying the fact that obese people are at risk? Then today I see a story from another guy who went to a COVID party because he thought the virus is a hoax, contracted it and got very ill. You guessed it, the media reports he had no underlying health issues but this guy is also really, really heavy. However, for those of us paying attention, morbid obesity is a HUGE negative health condition. AND one of the COVID risk groups.

These are two examples of why I never trust the media. They are propaganda organs for someone, because the media's implication is the current administration is somehow responsible for "healthy" Americans (and I use that term SARCASTICALLY") being laid low by the virus. I am no big fan of either the Red or the Blue Team but I really hope that you all come to informed conclusions about what to believe or disbelieve and understand that someone is playing puppet master.

https://news.yahoo.com/turn-off-air-conditioning-experts-095902288.html

Keep in mind it was posted on Yahoo News, not the most objective of sources...LOL
Thanks, I really appreciate it. Looks like it came originally from The Telegraph which is I think is a UK paper. Which I don't really have an opinion on personally. The concern I have is the experts they talked to are AC experts. So, if you say to them we have established that disease XYZ is air born what should we do with our AC they are qualified to comment. I issue I have is the extent to which we actually have to worry about droplets of Covid19 flying around for a long time.

Let me expand on what I mean. Apparently we (the royal we) have been using virus transition models that have been around for a long time - for good reason they work well the vast majority of the time. The man feature of those models is they categorize viruses as being droplet based which transmit via touching surfaces that have had droplets fall on to them. And a category of those that are aerosol and circulate in the air. What we are finding out is those categories don't work as well becasue this virus seems to be a bit in between. So most of the virus particles that we eject are big and fall quickly but some of the smaller dropets also have virus particles too. So, some people are starting to work in more complex models that take this into account. I have not read this whole paper yet but I think this is the one I heard a Dr talking about how we needed to tweak our transmission model - https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour.../476E32549012B3620D2452F30F2567F1/core-reader

But don't forget this is new research and researchers are going to have to verify this new stuff. Clearly our current models of transmission have been informative so it's not like they need to be discarded. This all just adds to the evidence and theoretically modelling that supports we should be wearing masks because that is the best way to keep our droplets to ourselves.

These are two examples of why I never trust the media. They are propaganda organs for someone, because the media's implication is the current administration is somehow responsible for "healthy" Americans (and I use that term SARCASTICALLY") being laid low by the virus.
I hear ya it is an issue. Also don't forget the old phrase "never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by incompetence". Yeah I am talking about reporters and especially headline writers. That factors in too. I think what you did is the way to go - read it and see the problems that the reporter either glossed over or was to rushed or too ignorant to see.

I'll also add I am not really a fan of "but young people get sick and hurt too". I say duh - you can always find a counter example - especially if your goal is to find one example. :) That drive me nuts.

The real issue we should be reminding people about is that young people *are* the ones that will be the vectors that give covid to the people who really are at risk. People like their older parents or grand parents, or the people they know who have other health issue that place them at higher risk. We need our younger people to be responsible not for their sake but for ours.

Canadian Cat, thanks for pointing out the experts they talked to were air conditioning experts. However, I still think that virus transmission in a closed ventilation system is a possibility worth exploring.

So, here in Melbourne (Victoria, Aus), for almost 4 weeks in May/June, we were sitting an 8-12 infections a day, almost (?) all returned overseas travelers in enforced hotel 2 week quarantine. We come out of lock-down about then, due to (almost ?) zero community transmission.

Except, security for that hotel quarantine was provided by private security companies, with subcontracting rife. Not cops, not army.

Then, some of those security guards had 'close relations' (yes, exactly what you think!!) with their quarantined guests, and took the virus back to their own home in north and western Melbourne. And these same security companies have been supplying guards for our high-density housing commission flats as well....

Result: Melbourne is now seeing a daily case rate of 200-300 cases, almost all of which are community transmission, and the entire city is in lock-down for another 6 weeks. The housing commission flats are currently sitting on a 6% infection rate (3000 residents), and they think one tower will hit 25%. State borders with South Australia and NSW are both closed.

Experts are suggesting this entire resurgence is likely due to the hotel 'quarantine' debacle......

You be the judge of the morale of this story.....

I'm sure a certain protest a month or so back didn't help matters either, but you won't hear that from the MSM.

The Victorian government has a lot to answer for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back