Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would radiology / Imaging have a role in diagnosing / treating the virus? I’m actually curious.....perhaps looking at pneumonia symptoms or something?

Not really in diagnosing the actual virus. As you supposed, if you have a cough, or the provider hears anything unusual in your lungs, you will probably get a chest x-ray. If that shows anything, you might get a chest CT scan. If you start showing any severe symptoms and become hospitalized, you might receive more imaging to see what else is going on.

I could go off on a rant/tangent about the overuse of imaging (especially CT) in medicine (especially emergency medicine) today (in the USA anyway), but that's not what this thread is about.

I suspect anybody who wants to make shenanigans in such a state will be heavily armed too.
True, but have you ever been to Dodge City Kansas?

Fact is if a person is intent on creating mayhem unless you are prepared, some mayhem willl happen. But there have been a least two cases here that I can think of where when the mayhem started it was stopped by an armed citizen who stepped in and shot the perp before they could inflict serious injury on their intended victim.

It should be noted that one of my new coworkers astutely observed over the weekend the distinct lack of ammunition at the local Super Walmart.

Last edited:
Just found out that our friends (a family of 4) have all come down with a temperature over 38 degrees. I spent time with them yesterday so I guess Im pretty much compromised if it is C-19... will just have to carry on as normal until the symptoms land on me.

Hi Bootie,
Just follow orders and you’ll see this war through.
Keep yer wits about ye n yer head below the parapet, and take care of yer platoon.

Best of luck mate.

Steve

There's quite a few sick where I work but no Corona positives.
I am in heavy industry and the wife works at a grocer so its business somewhat like usual for us.
My parents and my wife's mom are laying low.
Hopefully this is just mother nature being a bitch and not a bio weapon test gone awry.
Keep the faith @Bootie

There's quite a few sick where I work but no Corona positives.
I am in heavy industry and the wife works at a grocer so its business somewhat like usual for us.
My parents and my wife's mom are laying low.
Hopefully this is just mother nature being a bitch and not a bio weapon test gone awry.
Keep the faith @Bootie
Ditto here. I am in the Steel Industry as we make powdered metals. Most going to the pressing of car parts for GM, Chrysler, and Ford. Just seen at the end of work today some of them will be shutting down. Pretty sure we will see a down turn in business but not sure how soon. We are still open and fully functional despite trying to process business in house through "Skype" meetings and such. Wife is a school teacher with a two week shutdown right now. Not sure if PA will follow suit and bang the school year or not. Most restaurants are similar to everywhere else with pick up only. Trying to reserve our food stores and support the businesses by eating out as much as possible. Hopefully those food workers are taking precautions!!

I have not heard any local news in my area but what are other areas saying about what to do if you notice symptoms? Are you to visit the ER or just call in to the ER or family Dr? I seen on the national news that the best bet is to call it in and then self quarantine. Not sure running to the ER infecting others or possibly risking infection yourself is a good idea.

Stay safe everyone.

We keep getting worse little by little.
18 more cases than yesterday, now the total is 97. And one more deceased, 3 in total. The man (64) had no travel history but did have intimate contact with a person who had returned from abroad where he would have contracted the disease.
Tonight's newscasts commented that the government is analyzing a possible general quarantine as in Italy.

Just found out that our friends (a family of 4) have all come down with a temperature over 38 degrees. I spent time with them yesterday so I guess Im pretty much compromised if it is C-19... will just have to carry on as normal until the symptoms land on me.
Sorry to hear that man! :( Hang tough!

Bing has a pretty good interactive map of the spread, updated daily.

Sorry to hear that. Hang in there.
What's protocol where you are? Immediate self-quarantine and then testing if they turn out to have C-19?

We keep getting worse little by little.
18 more cases than yesterday, now the total is 97. And one more deceased, 3 in total. The man (64) had no travel history but did have intimate contact with a person who had returned from abroad where he would have contracted the disease.
Tonight's newscasts commented that the government is analyzing a possible general quarantine as in Italy.

We at 116 confirmed here ... expecting spike in numbers soon...

Same here ... we have case of Dutch tourist diagnosed with Corona part of a group touring 12 wine farms in the Cape ... instant closures all over the winelands.

Non-essential public offices closing...
Govt already closing restaurants/bars/nightclubs, especially if licensed to sell alcohol, from 18:00 to 09:00 in morning.
The informal trade will boom and take up slack until the virus reality check kicks in with general population.

"People suspected of having contracted the virus, cannot refuse medical examination, treatment, isolation or quarantine.
Anyone who intentionally exposes others to the disease can be arrested and prosecuted for assault, attempted murder or murder.

Fake news peddlers should also beware. You can be fined and jailed for six months if you spread disinformation."

Just also had a case of UK woman who boarded a flight from Cape Town to London AFTER being diagnosed with C-19 ... they caught her and disembarked her, but a whole section of the passengers had to also be disembarked and quarantined.

People are such fuckwits.

Last edited:
Just also had a case of UK woman who boarded a flight from Cape Town to London AFTER being diagnosed with C-19 ... they caught her and disembarked her, but a whole section of the passengers had to also be disembarked and quarantined.

People are such fuckwits.

I think most people are actually quite calm and reasonable.

It's just that nobody would tell the story if someone was diagnosed and then did the right thing. We always focus on the idiots and the crooks.

If you want to look on the lighter side, if you get the virus you are likely to recover.
It's not like the flu epidemic of 1918.

Here is a good up to date site for current virus data around the world:

Yeah, I think that the positive news is squelched because with the twenty four hour a day news cycle there always has to be a crisis so all the so called experts can throw in their friggin’ opinions, and trust me, most of the time it is opinions, to justify a paycheck. I just want the facts- on COVID 19, on politics, on climate change or whatever , because I am a reasonably intelligent person who can reach my own conclusions.

It ain’t Fake news, it’s biased news.

I just want the facts- on COVID 19, on politics, on climate change or whatever , because I am a reasonably intelligent person who can reach my own conclusions.

Me too, and that's why I listen to the facts coming from experts. I recognise that people spending their lives studying diseases know more about them than I do.

In the case of Covid, many people seem to have a hard time seeing it for what it is: A serious issue that we need to act on, but not the end of the world.

I think most people are actually quite calm and reasonable.

It's just that nobody would tell the story if someone was diagnosed and then did the right thing. We always focus on the idiots and the crooks.

True. should have said SOME people are fuckwits. ;)

But with a pandemic it doesn't take much.

Story of South Korean "Patient 31" ... who while being tested, diagnosed went to church (twice), a brunch get together and had estimated contact with 1160 people.

If you want to look on the lighter side, if you get the virus you are likely to recover.
It's not like the flu epidemic of 1918.

Here is a good up to date site for current virus data around the world:

Yes, that is true ... trick is to keep your numbers down and your infection rate as slow as possible... so that the ones that need ICU beds and ventilators don't overwhelm the medical system and resources.

Me too, and that's why I listen to the facts coming from experts. I recognise that people spending their lives studying diseases know more about them than I do.

In the case of Covid, many people seem to have a hard time seeing it for what it is: A serious issue that we need to act on, but not the end of the world.

Agreed ... no time for tinfoil crackpots and conspiracy peddlers ... not end of the world... but a HUGE blip with possibly quite serious economic consequences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom