Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
So all in all a rather shit day... I will be quickly cutting of myself and family from the outside world. It can go to hell. Stay safe guys.
So more time for Combat Mission and site stuff? ;)

A bit of anger is developing here. Government is starting to get accused of dragging it's feet and not going hard enough, particularly around not ordering school and work closures like other countries to 'flatten the curve' before the inevitable explosion in cases hit. Considering there's no other way to do it according to the experts given there's no vaccine etc, seems we're just playing for time. Keep in mind we're heading towards winter and fly season down here.

Here's a collection of differment maps/dashboards to see the global spread: http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/covid-19/maps-visuals

My pals kid is in hospital... severe chest infection and breathing difficulties. He is 5 years old... he should be fine but shit one for the wee lad. A department at my work has ordered a deep clean... again not good news in my station. So all in all a rather shit day... I will be quickly cutting of myself and family from the outside world. It can go to hell. Stay safe guys.

Tough times... stay safe... all the best and good luck.
You do have a vast stash of Pen & Sword books to keep you busy :)

14 more infected than yesterday = 79. Only two deaths.
With my wife we decided (for now) to suspend trips to the hospital to take her rehabilitation classes. We will practice at home and walk more in the square that we always go.

85 cases here now ... no deaths yet ... first 8 local transmissions though.

Big restrictions on travel and gatherings and closing of school kicking in today. Enforcement will be another question.

good luck every one take care.

Stopped at a major supermarket today. Lots of shelves bare. No toilet paper, tissues, soap, rice, pasta and a bunch of other stuff.
I've been an amateur 'prepper' for years though. My wife used to make fun of my prepping, but now she's grateful! Even says it's sexy. :giggle:
Still, it's only a few weeks of supplies, not months.

I have elderly parents too, and I'm concerned for them and other vulnerable people.
Luckily I got my dad moved into a care facility and my mum into an independent living unit just before christmas, so they are as secure as they can be.

The other looming concern for me is the economy. The stock markets are like a mirror of the panic buying.
And with the lockdown, many businesses may not survive a week, let alone a month or more.

All the pubs and restaurants are closed but they are doing curb side take out.
You can order by phone pull up at the curb in front and they'll bring your dinner out (don't forget to tip the deliverer something)

My wife and I will make a point of helping the local pubs/restaurants by ordering a few dinners in the coming weeks.

In Germany we have more then 10000 infected (tested) persons and nobody knows how many are infected but not tested. The testing capacity is limited.
The situation is really getting worse here and in many other countries. We are heading into a catastrophe!

Stay healthy and good luck! I wish all the best to you.

All the pubs and restaurants are closed but they are doing curb side take out.
You can order by phone pull up at the curb in front and they'll bring your dinner out (don't forget to tip the deliverer something)

My wife and I will make a point of helping the local pubs/restaurants by ordering a few dinners in the coming weeks.

We're going to do the same here.

@Bootie

My post was not directed at you personally, if it was I would have mentioned you or quoted your post. Sorry if you felt slighted by it.

I will not step back from my claim of this being the 'snowflake generation', generation may be the wrong word though, more like 'snowflake society', we here in the western world have had it so good for so long that many people have no idea what real hardship is.
Our society, such as it is, is going to have to 'harden the f**k up' whether they like it or not. The thing is once they do, they'll realise that it's really not as bad as media, mass or social, would have us believe. Humans, and any student of history would know, are adaptable and resilient creatures, even children if they are given the appropriate support will tough it out in the worst of conditions. We don't like it, but when there is no other choice, we do.
'What doesn't kill you makes you stronger' as the saying goes.
I actually had a guy say to me today: 'The world has never been through anything like this!', I'm guessing he wasn't a student of history then as I'm sure the good people who died of spanish flu or bubonic plague would be disappointed to know. We have the amazing benefit of living in an age of modern medicine and scientific discovery, as a species we've literally never been in a better position to deal with this thing.

On a personal level, we've had some setbacks, we had to cancel my wifes trip to Thailand to bring back our little one due to the risk of the borders closing and the better half being stuck over there, looks like it was the right call. Unfortunately our daughter is now stuck over there for the duration of this thing. It sucks but what can you do. Fortunately she is in good hands with the grandparents.
My folks are in their eighties, so I do have some concern for them, fortunately they're both pretty healthy for their ages but it's amazing how fast things can go downhill when dealing with illness and the elderly. As a pragmatic person I know their deaths are something that I'll have to deal with eventually, as we all do sooner or later, and am not looking forward to it - but if it happens, it happens.
My wife quit her work a month or so back as she was going to concentrate on being a full time mum with the little one coming home, just shitty timing there. My work may quieten off a bit, but I very much doubt layoffs are on the cards.
All in all, we're doing ok, probably a lot better than many others.

I firmly believe, and feel free to mark this post, that in a years time from now the global economy will be powering along again, a lot of new babies will be born which will generate demand and replace the oldies lost to this thing - life will carry on as it does, and 'hoarding toilet paper' will become the meme of 2020.

I went to the supermarket this morning (Meier). All fruits, veggies in good supply. Beef was OK, chicken was OK. Breakfast cereal was good, AP flour was low, and NO bread flour, NO TP. Dairy was in good shape. NO flour tortillas or corn tortillas. I did see a Mother and her son hoarding stuff and it absolutely pissed me off! I’m glad my wife and I have our garden and know how to cook and make things that others buy in boxes. I really feel bad for young married folks with children, this has to be a VERY frustrating and stressful for them. I get stressed and it’s just me and my wife.

I went to Costco yesterday. Although the stock was thinned out there was still plenty of everything.......except they were out of corned beef for Saint Paddy's day! Argghhhh. :oops:

It was kind of empty of people, this was on Tuesday, and the girl wiping down the carts as you came in said the line to get in was around the building on Saturday.
I guess the rush is over.

And yes they were restocking the toilet paper of which there was plenty. :rolleyes:

Yeah no problems @Stafford I'm just a bit on edge at the minute... I am restricting myself to basically travelling to work then home. Working for the police means I cant kick back and relax.. we are waiting on the shit storm to hit then god knows what will happen.

Also have to keep an 8 year old entertained... now that the schools are closing and playing with her friends is of the cards... its gonna be a hard one.

But fuck it... keep our heads down and ride this out...

So my wife is telling me that the State of Kansas has said grades K-12 are done for the year, as in schools out. What is off in all of this is my wife works in retail and she is telling me that the people that are in the stores should not be there, like older people and mommies with young kids and thugs. However, Kansas is an open carry and a conceal carry state, so I suspect any shenanigans will be met with an appropriate response.

So my wife is telling me that the State of Kansas has said grades K-12 are done for the year, as in schools out. What is off in all of this is my wife works in retail and she is telling me that the people that are in the stores should not be there, like older people and mommies with young kids and thugs. However, Kansas is an open carry and a conceal carry state, so I suspect any shenanigans will be met with an appropriate response.
I have my conceal carry license, and let me tell ya, I don’t travel without my .380.

However, Kansas is an open carry and a conceal carry state, so I suspect any shenanigans will be met with an appropriate response.

I suspect anybody who wants to make shenanigans in such a state will be heavily armed too.

Nothing much has changed for me. If anything, I'll be working some extra shifts. So far no shortages that I know of here in east TN. School is out everywhere. Sports, concerts, etc. are canceled. Several churches have announced they are not holding services.

Would radiology / Imaging have a role in diagnosing / treating the virus? I’m actually curious.....perhaps looking at pneumonia symptoms or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back