Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Starting to see a resurgence of the virus in eastern Australia, and even New Zealand - who thought they had it under control - is having some problems again.

Reading some articles recently, the world's shanty towns are struggling the most (and there are a whole lot of them).
People packed into a small area (for example in Dharavi, Mumbai's largest slum, there are 850,000 people per square mile) with little or no sanitation.
People in these slums provide cheap labour for surrounding districts, and with the economy suffering they can now barely buy food for their families.

I saw on the net this morning that one of the drug companies that is projected to have a COVID cure is estimating it will cost $2345 (or 2435, I can’t remember) USD. I wonder what my health insurance company will say about that. I expect they are already negotiating that down- I hope.

How in the world do they come up with that figure??
Perhaps it is a really intensive production process.
Artificial boosting because of a desperate market?
A set of steak knives and a brick of gold with every purchase?
Eugenics in action? At least the rich will survive eh wot?

And no guarantees come with it that it will actually prevent you from catching it.
"Here, give all your money. This might help."
I'm sure there will a lot of testing and numbers to support its effectiveness.
However, nowadays, I have a real hard time believing anything about the virus. Good or bad.
Of course, given my demographic, I'll probably shell out whatever is required to get one.
Extortion 101 on display.

At this stage I've got a 4 day weekend coming up to recharge the batteries after many long work days since this whole thing began. Concord and Stafford have already updated you on our little neck of the woods but even in a location like ours which has dealt with the medical problem probably in the best way seen anywhere in the world, yeah dealing with the 'true second wave' so to speak has been tiring. Not really dealing... more planning and reporting on (sadly) inevitable.

1593491611050.png
Yeah I copied in an Australian flag over the Canadian one. ;)

Across Australia there's currently an estimated 927,600 unemployed people (7.1% unemployment rate) plus a further 3.5 million people who are employed but their job is currently linked to the Government paying them (via their employer) $1,500 per fortnight. Going to be scary when that Government support is withdrawn. Either we'll sink or somehow keep floating... but I won't call it swimming as that suggests we'll be moving forward.

At this stage I've got a 4 day weekend coming up to recharge the batteries after many long work days since this whole thing began. Concord and Stafford have already updated you on our little neck of the woods but even in a location like ours which has dealt with the medical problem probably in the best way seen anywhere in the world, yeah dealing with the 'true second wave' so to speak has been tiring. Not really dealing... more planning and reporting on (sadly) inevitable.

View attachment 19706
Yeah I copied in an Australian flag over the Canadian one. ;)

Across Australia there's currently an estimated 927,600 unemployed people (7.1% unemployment rate) plus a further 3.5 million people who are employed but their job is currently linked to the Government paying them (via their employer) $1,500 per fortnight. Going to be scary when that Government support is withdrawn. Either we'll sink or somehow keep floating... but I won't call it swimming as that suggests we'll be moving forward.
Yeah you can put pretty much any flag there! It's one big sh!t sandwich and we're all taking a bite! :poop:

I would make the assumption that the US Government would use Taxpayer dollars to distribute the vaccine. I can’t imagine a scenario where the average US citizen would pay out of pocket for a dose. I don’t remember citizens paying for the polio vaccine.

I would make the assumption that the US Government would use Taxpayer dollars to distribute the vaccine. I can’t imagine a scenario where the average US citizen would pay out of pocket for a dose. I don’t remember citizens paying for the polio vaccine.

Yeah, I agree, which means it will cost the American taxpayer 3X the amount I saw. You know the rule when going after Federal contracts.

1. Prepare your estimate. 2. Mark it 3X higher. 3. You now have a competitive Federal bid.

However, keep in mind, nothing is "free" as you pointed out in a different thread. I expect after the November elections taxes to go up at every level. For example, the city I live in thrives on sales tax, but with business closed, they are screwed. The problem is our property taxes have increased substantially in the last 3 years. I expect those to continue to rise. Plus I expect the sales tax to go up and Federal income taxes to go up. S

You'll be happy to know that in the State of Kansas starting Friday Kansans will be "required" to wear a mask in public. However, the governor is a "minority in the legislature team member" and the" majority in the legislature Team " has already substantially reduced her powers during a special legislative session called just to do that, so now all she can offer is a mandate, it's up to the counties to "Yea" or "nay" it. Now does everyone understand why I hate politics?

Last edited:
I stumbled across this..

The World Health Organization (WHO) suggests that as many as 80 percent of people who contract COVID-19 are asymptomatic carriers or develop only mild symptoms, and many individuals may not even know they are sick. This is especially true for younger individuals and children, who often contract the virus and exhibit no symptoms but can easily spread it to vulnerable individuals in the population.

Wow, so that makes calculating the infection, the cured and the mortality rates impossible unless you test everyone?

If we can just get through this month, we only have one more month to go
before we need to get through another month.
-----
dtDpKNQ.jpg

I don't believe anything WHO has to say about the virus given its blatant shilling for China in the past.
Including their "suggestions."
Just my opinion.
The WHO can't mandate or force countries to undertake activities. All they can do is report and suggest. How individual governments respond to health crisis' is purely up to them. Some countries like Australia went a bit earlier rather than wait for any announcement while others like the USA and UK effectively ignored them (and there own epidemiologists...). Public health policy is always the remit of the individual Governments with their own health bureaucracies. WHO are designed to be an international coordination group of information and international programs, nothing more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back