Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Gun talk

Given these tumultuous times I'm thinking about getting a semi-auto pistol for a little home security.
Literally for home defense. Other than to make sure it works it's unlikely I'll even shoot it more than once.
This reduces my preferences down to something very easy to use that only needs to be accurate to maybe 50'.
I don't think I need a 9mm, but a .22LR or a .380 appeals to me.
I'm leaning towards the S&W M&P Shield EZ. Does anyone have any experience with it? Comments?
I didn’t know they allowed guns in Cali.

Given these tumultuous times I'm thinking about getting a semi-auto pistol for a little home security.
Literally for home defense. Other than to make sure it works it's unlikely I'll even shoot it more than once. Comments?

In your case, forget about semi-auto. Get a revolver.

What you want is to pull the trigger and it works, every time. You also don't want to worry about magazine spring compression, etc.

You want a modern Ruger or a Smith & Wesson in .38 special. You want to load it with +P hollow point ammo and you want to go to the firing range a couple of times a year and practice.

Literally for home defense. Other than to make sure it works it's unlikely I'll even shoot it more than once.
This reduces my preferences down to something very easy to use that only needs to be accurate to maybe 50'.
I'm leaning towards the S&W M&P Shield EZ. Does anyone have any experience with it? Comments?
If you are new to guns, I might consider getting a shoulder gun (shotgun or rifle) for your gun if that is the only one.

A semi-auto pistol requires some training to use effectively. A shoulder gun is far easier to point and shoot.

In your case, forget about semi-auto. Get a revolver.

What you want is to pull the trigger and it works, every time. You also don't worry about magazine spring compression, etc.

You want a modern Ruger or a Smith & Wesson in .38 special. You want to load it with +P hollow point ammo and you want to go to the firing range a couple of times a year and practice.
And if you MUST have a handgun, Meat Grinder makes a good point. Revolvers are better than semi autos for new shooters. There is no manual of arms--just point and shoot.

New shooters make mistakes with semi autos constantly, Dropping magazines, causing malfunctions with improper technique, struggling to manipulate the slide, etc.. Remember that your wife or kids might have to use it one day. Revolvers are easier.

I agree with MG go with a revolver especially if its a first gun.
.38 special just point and pull the trigger.

I have several Smith and Wesson pistols but I don't like the M&P shields.
I'm old school and prefer autoloaders that have a visible hammer. (safety factor especially for novices)
My carry piece is a Walther PPKS (made by Smith & Wesson) in .380 or a model 39 S&W 9mm

Even CA politicians haven't defeated the 2nd Amendment (yet).
To get a legal weapon one must first get a Firearms Safety Certificate.
You get that by passing a remarkably easy, multiple choice test. I mean it is soo easy studying is not required (except for HOA).
CA gets $25 for that. Then, there is a 10-day waiting period. Then you become a proud owner of a lethal weapon.

You get that by passing a remarkably easy, multiple choice test. I mean it is soo easy studying is not required (except for HOA).
CA gets $25 for that. Then, there is a 10-day waiting period. Then you become a proud owner of a lethal weapon.
Buddy, almost anything can be a lethal weapon. The laws of California are so foreign to me as to be almost incomprehensible.

You will get a background check too. And another one when you buy ammo. Great fun!

The Beretta 9m is a awesome piece.
The fit and feel is perfect.
I have a 92FS, its just a bit large for CC, but for other circumstances its
probably the gun I would take if I could only take one handgun.
Since its California carry options aren't as important.

The Beretta 9m is a awesome piece.
The fit and feel is perfect.
I have a 92FS, its just a bit large for CC, but for other circumstances its
probably the gun I would take if I could only take one handgun.
Since its California carry options aren't as important.
Completely agree....I wasn’t thinking about concealed carry, just home defense. The 9mm is just such a smooth gun. I own a 45. Couldn’t hit water with that thing. But it looks so cool!

Back