Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

PANZER COMMAND OSTFRONT

pco11.gif

pco8.gif

pco6.gif

Key 7 toggles a map grid-
Get full hotkey list anytime in game with (K)
pco10.gif

Panzer Command Ostfront, Demo release

Panzer Command Ostfront Wins the Race: Demo Out, Release Next Tuesday!

Not that Battlefront (Combat Mission) and whatever was left of Koios (Panzer Command) were actually competing with each other. At least their upcoming tactical wargames were competing for my attention. ;)
1.jpg

Played that demo a lot and found it amusing that to get an experience similar to the original Combat Mission you have to play a game not from Battlefront but from Koios ...
Some screenshots of one of the demo scenarios included.

Here the site I used to download
http //www.gamershell.com/download_73556.shtml

Here some others too
http:
//worthplaying.com/article/2011/5/6/demo/81265/

http://www.atomicgamer.com/files/91617/panzer-command-ostfront-demo-pre-release

297724.jpg

297723.jpg

297719.jpg

Enjoy
Lighthorse
:clap2:

Played the demo as the Germans, won it, and don't know why I did LOL.
Its going to take allot to get used to the game controls and commands.
Has allot of Pro's going for it, but there are some minuses too.
Graphics suck when compared to CMBN. Camera control are a bitch at times, but it could have been me too.
I turned off the auto camera controls per the game's recommends too, but it still was to jumpy for me.
My two SP tanks, had their engines knocked out, but still fought on.
I was able to fire Panzerfausts from inside a small building with no ill effects on the crew, unlike CMBN. They were one of my top tank killers in the game, with four kills to they credit.
Haven't figured out the artillery controls yet.
My thoughts are until something yet else comes along, this game will be my replacement for CMBB.

I played Winter Storm and Kharkov and there look to have been some improvements in Ost Front, the maps look to have more variety. The infantry model was a big turn-off for me, and that wont change until the next proper overhaul of the engine, and also the game seemed to lack the atmosphere of CM. I can't put my finger on what was lacking in the atmosphere, but something was. I did like the way you could nurse troops through a campaign though. So this game does have potential, and I'll give the new demo a whirl.

The PC:Ostfront demo disappointed me because I was hoping it'd be better than the earlier two releases in the series (PC:Winter Storm and PC:Kharkov).
Neither of them was able to topple CM as the King, and neither will PC:O because it uses the same clunky controls and boring Reactive Phase system which wrecks any chance of the game being smooth-flowing.
The graphics are not so hot either, for example it's often hard to tell at a simple glance what terrain type your units are in, or if they have LOS through terrain and over contours.
In short, PC:O is fiddly, clunky, over-complex and doesn't have CM's neat crisp fastmoving feel to it, and if people were hoping it'd be a CM replacement, this ain't it.
CM is still the King..:)

POS,
Give it another try and some more time. I felt the exact same way when I first played the beta version of the game. After playing for a couple weeks it grew on me. To the point of replacing CM? I dont think. It is not a replacement for CM nor a competitor. The game, as you already have found out, is not CM. It plays with an entirely different feel than CM, eventhough they look similar.

The Reactive Phase can be optioned (not sure about in the demo). In the settings you can set the game to play similar to CM with 60 second turn sequences with no reaction phase.

The underlying terrain tiles are similar to the CMX2 series. I dont think it has changed in CMBN but in CMSF you could not tell what type of terrain you were in by looking off of the underlying ground. You have to rely on eyeballing whether or not you are deep enough in cover. Did not like this change from the CMX1 game. It was clear cut back then. BUT! In PC you can hit the #5 hotkey and it will turn on the underlying color coded terrain. You can then clearly see if you are receiving a cover bonus. There is also a little icon on the left side of the GUI that shows a 'tree' icon if you are in cover.

Remember that any and everything can be modded in this game. It will not be long before someone comes up with terrain tiles that are a little more definitive in what you are looking at. I am sure vehicle and infantry models, armies, etc. will also start popping up. Hopefully some skilled people take the time to give the game a shot. I think they will make it possible to play out any theatre or scenario that you can imaging. You want a futuristic battle all you need is someone to mod it.

I dont really like the LOS calculations based off of individual trees either. It is similar to CMSF and CMBN. I like the 'oldskool' CMX1 style. Much easier to determine whether or not you will be spotted on flanking or any other type of move. A little break in the trees that you misread and BOOM! you are dead. Frustrated me in CMSF.

You are right it does not have CM's feel, nor is it a replacement, nor does it topple it as king. Remember it is an Uber-Patch of a game that is several years old created by a team of former CM players. That is a good thing as they are planning a PC4. Which means they will take the best things (suggested by the community) and merge them into a new engine. You may then have a competitor to the CMBN series. You may not.

I ve played the demo and it seems ok but not the blockbuster that people were thinking/wishing about.
The game has a lot of potential.I agree with POS that at the current stage cant replace CMBB.
I will be buying the game in order to support Matrix's effort and i do hope that the game will get better and better.

Anybody interested in playing a pbem game to see how it goes?

That will be in the next major release. We are also planning some expansions to Ostfront and there will also be post-release updates based on the feedback we get on the full release.

From the site per Eric. Notice the second sentence. I have only been the beta team for this a little while and these guys look at everything thrown at them. Very rarely do you get a "well, that is the way it is so stop bitching or asking about it". Even if this is not your cup of tea keep an eye on it and even participate at the forums. They may like a suggestion you have and implement it. At the very least I know it will get considered.

Cargol,
Seen you found an opponent over at Matrix. How do you like the PBEM setup with Dropbox?
Been Super busy today, had only time to do a quick check.
Will report to FGM tomorrow and might make a small AAR to it in order to share the experience with the rest of FGMers.

The PCO demo keeps crashing to desktop everytime I try to start the tutorial or the scenario in Win 7.

Things are looking up, I see PC:Ostfront includes a couple of features I suggested to them a while back, namely a full "trees off" toggle, a dulling down of the "silver sea effect" offmap area, and an option to get rid of the Reaction phase.
I'll download and review the full game when it comes out to see if they've incorporated any more of my ideas..:)

The full game has been released today and wins the race ahead of CMBN.
I've played both the PC:O and CMBN demos and would rate PC:O slightly better because you can enlarge the units to actually see them, whereas in CMBN you need a magnifying glass.

http://www.matrixgames.com/

pco-yue.gif

The full game has been released today and wins the race ahead of CMBN.
I've played both the PC:O and CMBN demos and would rate PC:O slightly better because you can enlarge the units to actually see them, whereas in CMBN you need a magnifying glass.

Each one of us looks at it with his own feelings. I always found playing with enlarged units specially ugly !! In CMBN it is easy to zoom with the mouse wheel if you want to have a close look during replays and at least units and environment stay at the same scale...

In Matrix's earlier PC:Winter Storm and PC:Kharkov, units couldn't be enlarged, so a lot of people (including me) suggested that they should include an 'enlarge units' option in PC:Ostfront, and that's what they've done. Enlarged units look better and seem to have solid weight and mass, whereas if not enlarged they look like insubstantial piddly little things.
Full marks to Matrix for listening to what people want..:)
As for Battlefront, units can be enlarged in CMBO, CMBB and CMAK, so it's a backward step to have no enlarge option in CMBN and it's a hassle to have to keep zooming down to have a closer look.

I am liking the CMBN demo so far but I was also disappointed with the lack of CMX1 features that did not make it into the game. I argued over there about the Penetration Tables that would pop up when you hit the 'enter' key on a selected unit. I thought this a great tool. Even if it does not now apply to CMBN's game mechanics or whatever they still should have included it for reference. After numerous posts from people opposing this feature (apparently they claim they dont need the charts - photographic memory or they are just that much more a military geek than I), BF finally agreed it was a good feature and that it would be included in a future release. Increasing the unit size would have been nice too. I will take the bad with the good though.

Back