Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Panzer Corps 2

OK, bear with me as it is a little long.
Was on turn 20 (last) of the France/Dijon battle. One objective left. Large infantry unit defending.
Able to move one arty w/i range for a shot. Then I have two beat up infantry left to the attack. First one does some damage and it's up to my engineer and he comes through for me, pushing the defender out of the town. I look around and (groan) no one has any movement left to occupy the town for the win! I look around the perimeter and spot a recon unit max movement range out, but he is able to make the trip and secure the objective. On the last turn with the last guy left!
On to North Afrika. First battle is a complete fail because I took no time to plan so deserved what I got.
Second effort goes much better, but the last couple of objectives are defended like I've never seen. On turn 19 I manage to push the infantry out and capture the town only to see the British mount a successful counter attack and recapture it. With the help of an arty and a beat up grenadier unit I manage to take it back for good. The problem is there is still an objective I bypassed hoping I would be able to wear it down, but I haven't much. It has a stubborn infantry and to it's rear a large AT gun and an adjacent arty. They are mutually supportive (if you haven't noticed) and have fended me off well. There is also a disrupted infantry also adjacent to the hex so the have 3 of the side covered.
I use a Stuka to pummel the 25 Lb and my strategic air unit on the town. I get one arty within range for some more attack prep. I only have three units available to attack and lead with a tank to try to get disruption. Surprisingly it was a little helpful. Then my grenadier unit. Then my reduced pioneer as my last hope. He scores big with 4 suppression and 6 killed and forces the enemy to surrender. You can see what's coming right?
Yep. No one has any movement left to enter the empty objective. But wait! There is a 1-point recon unit nearby. Only 5 movement points left but that is enough!
Except....
Uh, no one told me that if a victory hex is completely surrounded you can't move a friendly through to get in. "Ha, ha, mTk. You lose.!"
Those two battle endings last night were soo similar as to be down right creepy.
Never had a battle end with the last unit, on the last attack, on the last turn and the last move by the same kind of unit ever. Then it happens back-to-back. Damn.
I am going to have to start over though. My OOB has too many over strengthened units. As it turns out they are using up too many core slots. I don't have enough quantity to deal with having to attack multiple directions properly. Going to have to curb my brute force tendencies until a little later in the war.
I'm learning.
p.s. Oh, when reassigning a hero don't think that hitting the <delete> key removes him from the unit. Well, it does actually. Unfortunately, it also removes him from the game. Why the game would even give you that option I cannot fathom.

Last edited:
OK, bear with me as it is a little long.
Was on turn 20 (last) of the France/Dijon battle. One objective left. Large infantry unit defending.
Able to move one arty w/i range for a shot. Then I have two beat up infantry left to the attack. First one does some damage and it's up to my engineer and he comes through for me, pushing the defender out of the town. I look around and (groan) no one has any movement left to occupy the town for the win! I look around the perimeter and spot a recon unit max movement range out, but he is able to make the trip and secure the objective. On the last turn with the last guy left!
On to North Afrika. First battle is a complete fail because I took no time to plan so deserved what I got.
Second effort goes much better, but the last couple of objectives are defended like I've never seen. On turn 19 I manage to push the infantry out and capture the town only to see the British mount a successful counter attack and recapture it. With the help of an arty and a beat up grenadier unit I manage to take it back for good. The problem is there is still an objective I bypassed hoping I would be able to wear it down, but I haven't much. It has a stubborn infantry and to it's rear a large AT gun and an adjacent arty. They are mutually supportive (if you haven't noticed) and have fended me off well. There is also a disrupted infantry also adjacent to the hex so the have 3 of the side covered.
I use a Stuka to pummel the 25 Lb and my strategic air unit on the town. I get one arty within range for some more attack prep. I only have three units available to attack and lead with a tank to try to get disruption. Surprisingly it was a little helpful. Then my grenadier unit. Then my reduced pioneer as my last hope. He scores big with 4 suppression and 6 killed and forces the enemy to surrender. You can see what's coming right?
Yep. No one has any movement left to enter the empty objective. But wait! There is a 1-point recon unit nearby. Only 5 movement points left but that is enough!
Except....
Uh, no one told me that if a victory hex is completely surrounded you can't move a friendly through to get in. "Ha, ha, mTk. You lose.!"
Those two battle endings last night were soo similar as to be down right creepy.
Never had a battle end with the last unit, on the last attack, on the last turn and the last move by the same kind of unit ever. Then it happens back-to-back. Damn.
I am going to have to start over though. My OOB has too many over strengthened units. As it turns out they are using up too many core slots. I don't have enough quantity to deal with having to attack multiple directions properly. Going to have to curb my brute force tendencies until a little later in the war.
I'm learning.
p.s. Oh, when reassigning a hero don't think that hitting the <delete> key removes him from the unit. Well, it does actually. Unfortunately, it also removes him from the game. Why the game would even give you that option I cannot fathom.
thanks! that was useful information :)

Here is some more useful information. I just figured it out which means I'm an idiot, but here goes.
Remember in the other "panzer" games the scenario would occasionally gift you temp (auxiliary) non-core units. Of course, I read that PC2 has them as well. Didn't think much about it after that. Obviously.
Well, this game has been giving me fits as I have always been greatly outnumbered and only able to win about 50% of the time. Now I'm at least as smart as your average bear when it comes to TB war games, and "panzer" games in particular. This has caused me a substantial amount of angst and general confusion. It turns out that the fact I was able to win even 50% means I was doing very well indeed!
"Uh, how's that again mTk?" Good question, glad you asked.
You see, while I was aware of the auxiliary uinits, what I did not know is that YOU CAN BUY THEM at the start of each battle set up. DOH!!
To a certain degree there are purchase limits on how many of a type you can get at any given time. Also, it does cost prestige so there's that.
As you can well imagine this sort of makes a difference.
You're welcome. :sofa:

Another tip for something I overlooked in my first play effort.
From the screen where you can select what campaign you wish to play is an [Advanced Options] button in the lower right corner.
Among other things it has several difficulty tweaks you can employ if your current difficulty level is a bit much, but you don't want to be too embarrassed by going for a major dumb-down. My favorite was having the game allow me 3 more turns to complete the mission. That still allows for no dawdling, but also gives me a pretty fair chance to get the win.
There are a couple of others that seem a bit "God" like that I would avoid as they would just make the game no challenge whatsoever; so be careful what you wish for. I would suggest that you play the game a bit before using these tweaks as it will help you to understand what the actual affect will be on your game play.
The game "Broken Lines" was the first time I saw this and it is here in PC2 as well. Your first play through will not allow you to see all the scenarios. What battles you choose to fight will affect what scenario tree you go on. I like this idea. It allows you to complete a campaign, but able to play it again and choose battles you didn't engage the first time. A compelling replay ability component that gives the game some additional "legs."
Next up? Dunkirk. First time I got thrashed because, well, see "auxiliary" units.
This time? Brace yourself Allies! I be comin' for ya' all!

Remember in the other "panzer" games the scenario would occasionally gift you temp (auxiliary) non-core units. Of course, I read that PC2 has them as well. Didn't think much about it after that. Obviously.
Well, this game has been giving me fits as I have always been greatly outnumbered and only able to win about 50% of the time. Now I'm at least as smart as your average bear when it comes to TB war games, and "panzer" games in particular. This has caused me a substantial amount of angst and general confusion. It turns out that the fact I was able to win even 50% means I was doing very well indeed!
"Uh, how's that again mTk?" Good question, glad you asked.
You see, while I was aware of the auxiliary uinits, what I did not know is that YOU CAN BUY THEM at the start of each battle set up. DOH!!
To a certain degree there are purchase limits on how many of a type you can get at any given time. Also, it does cost prestige so there's that.

Thanks for the tip! In the previous games, the AI just put the extra, auxiliary units on the map for you, if I remember correctly.

It's new from the old game. Duh.
Units are now based on their core unit point size. You are allotted a specific amount of core unit points (see top of screen) each battle. It will look like this: Say [tank picture] 25/37. That means you've spent 25 core points of 37 allowable for that battle. Once you've purchased core units = that point max you're done.
So, it's tricky building an OOB as you must juggle quality v quantity. I'm finding it quite a bit of fun. This was a huge mistake my first go 'round as I got all excited in making my units as big as possible by over strengthening them. So, I would take a tank that had a core footprint of, lets say 3 points, and over strength them from their 10 point basic health to say 13. That would cost me an addition 3 core points. That's as much as the basic tank with a core point rating of 3! So, had several big/strong formations, but not many of them and inadequate to cover all that terrain.
Upgrading is MUCH less expensive as you get full $prestige credit of the unit's basic value, which is subtracted from the cost of the new (upgrade) unit that you want. The difference is your upgrade $prestige cost. Of course upgrading a unit to a better one is very likely going to cost youmore core/size points so there's that!
There are a LOT of little buttons to understand and master their functions. It's nice they all seem to have a rollover tool tip.
We might be boring the audience so we should probably take this to pm.

Back