Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Round Four

i feel like i am just playing ducks in a row for my opponent to practise gunnery with his ATGs whilst i am sat in the open :( What sane commander would deploy an armoured battle group in plain sight of a range of defended hills with no pre bombardment or smoke?!

i feel like i am just playing ducks in a row for my opponent to practise gunnery with his ATGs whilst i am sat in the open :( What sane commander would deploy an armoured battle group in plain sight of a range of defended hills with no pre bombardment or smoke?!

You are again talking about something you should not on the open forum.

But I will point out you did have the option for a arty strike on Turn one or smoke if wanted.

And if you cannot figure it out. Part of the challenge of this battle was just that. How quickly can you silence them guns.

Some players have managed to do it in the expected time, some have not.

sorry i thought everyone was several turns in by now so no surprises on the deployment. Re smoke, i called it in on deploy but it never arrived until 2nd turn onwards and by the time it properly screened my force was already decimated. This scen just felt like a gamey spawning trick from a 3rd person shooter game.

sorry i thought everyone was several turns in by now so no surprises on the deployment. Re smoke, i called it in on deploy but it never arrived until 2nd turn onwards and by the time it properly screened my force was already decimated. This scen just felt like a gamey spawning trick from a 3rd person shooter game.

Any confirmation or denial about the defender (not) having ATGs or the attacker (not) having artillery/smoke, etc, can give other players some advantage if they didn't know yet.
Other than that, there's many ways to smoke and you don't even need to visit Amsterdam for it ;-P. Maybe it helps for inspiration :ROFLMAO:

Most of you will not be complaining about how AT Guns are under modelled in the cm games after this battle.

I have had one german Player Rage quite (cannot exactly blame him, He lost 9 tanks to one gun. ) So most of you will not deal with that.

But yes, once again, there was a few battles in delayed start for different reasons but I had been kept informed. So you managed to only hurt yourself and any other player that has moved past the starting phase of the battle.

Last edited:
One has to remember the beauty of this format is every one you are competing against is undergoing the same challenges as you are.
As frustrating as that can be its part of the design. Just don't get your ass whooped as bad as your side and you are golden.

Thats the part I dont get either, its the old line about being chased by a Bear.

You dont need to be faster than the Bear, you just need to be faster than the other guy.

I do already have money on 4 german players that I think are doing well and Four germans that are going to get whooped.

its more the format of the battle opening that irks as nobody would form up in the open in front of a range of defended hills! The commander would be taken behind a building and shot. We didnt even get the benefit of a softening up barrage before AP rounds start whacking into us. It just makes us look inept and the kill ratio of tank v ATG is awful.

its more the format of the battle opening that irks as nobody would form up in the open in front of a range of defended hills! The commander would be taken behind a building and shot. We didnt even get the benefit of a softening up barrage before AP rounds start whacking into us. It just makes us look inept and the kill ratio of tank v ATG is awful.

It's an even playing field though @Guardsman , every Axis player is starting under the same conditions, you just have to make the best of it.

FWIW I felt more than a little miffed about my round two battle, the battle premise was fine and I lay no blame at @SlySniper for it, it's that CM Spotting(tm) completely fucked me over which I couldn't possibly have known until the guns were placed and the game underway.

Unfortunately due to CM spotting(tm) two of my guns died without accomplishing anything of value, but, I assume every other Axis player had to deal with the same issues and I was unlucky to be facing a very good opponent.

Just gotta play the hand you're dealt.

Its how you want to look at it.
My take is this is what the Americans have left after the pre-barrages and they are in the fighting shape that you presently are taken them on at.

Your formation starting line was way farther back than it presently was but this is the distance that the defender has decided to open up on you with its fire.
Springing its trap. so they were basically all huddled down out of view til they were given the command to fire on turn one.

Now could I give you a battle that protrayed all that you discribed. Sure can, how many turns would it be, at least another 40, what would it have done for you. Not a blasted thing, because I still would not have given you a force that could easily take the hills. You still would have to close to within fighting distance and I could provide ways for the enemy not to show up til you are within that distance.

You are in a bad situation and you are to try and make the best of it.

I am also confident that a well played German offence will have a certain amount of success in this battle.

Where as poor decisions are going to lead to real horror film.

Dont like it fine, I dont blame you, but avoid my stuff in the future then, because I do like it. I like to be in challenging situations and I want to be tested as to if I can find a solution.

there is designers out there that will give you more than enough equipment and more than enough time for you to meet your goals and feel good about it.

Its like the last battle, Meatetr feels great about the fact he managed to get two tanks off the board and not get totally shut down, A victory in defeat in a sence.

(Its all about mind set- and my mind set is to give you some real horrors of war at times., crap might be coming you way)

Last edited:
Well said- last battle i felt the same way- but accept it as a challenge. I am happy that I was not the Germans on this one, but on the other hand, there things the German can do....so all is good

think you guys are making a mountain out of a mole hill with over-reacting responses. All i said was it didnt make sense to form up in plain view of a defended hill position so this battle sucks from that point of view as its unrealistic but it hasnt stopped me fighting my way out of it or dying in the process! i'm certainly not rolling over or rage quitting.

Into the valley of the shadow of death... :2charge:

i'm certainly not rolling over

Looks like this guy didnt get the "keep fighting" memo lol

:::image of a German sitting on the ground with his hands in his lap:::

(sorry - i realized there was a small spoiler in that image, so i removed it :eek:)

Last edited:
Ha!
I always thought they were Australians.

So I did some research.

"Tom Bird, 96 this year, is a much decorated hero of the Desert War in World War II, whose most famous exploit was commanding the anti-tank company of 2nd Battalion, The Rifle Brigade, which stopped Rommel’s determined panzer counter-attack during the Second Battle of El Alamein (Oct. 23 – Nov. 24, 1942) at Snipe, a small oval-shaped depression 2000 yards in front of the British forward position, on Kidney Ridge. The battle was described by newspapers at home as ‘the finest action of the war’. It earned the commanding officer (Col. Victor Turner) a VC, and Bird added the DSO to his MC and Bar."

On October 13, 2011, Tom Bird was invited by Major James Gayner (a family friend) of the 4th Battalion, The Rifles, to attend their annual Snipe dinner, held in the Officers’ Mess at Bulford. Below is the short talk Bird gave to their Colonel and officers.
"I was involved with Cuneo’s picture from early days. Cuneo was always anxious to get details as right as possible. However, I can tell you that the background of the picture is not actually the Western Desert. It’s Wimbledon Common. Vic Turner, Jack Toms, Corporal Francis and I drove down there with a 6-pounder, a Jeep and some ammunition boxes, in the autumn of 1946."

Back