Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

The Battle of Capracotta - CMFI QB campaign

The more I am playing this again, the more I am convinced that CM is coded to be played solo vs AI as US or Allied player and win, especially in QB's.
Some German kit is handicapped on purpose to make this possible, especially in the infantry.

Squad MG 42 or 34 LMG's are basically useless as they are coded to be so utterly inaccurate they can't the side of a barn ... German MP's can't hit a guy in the open at 5 or 10 paces standing right in front of the shooter in the open... and return fire from M1 Garands just mows your guys down, even when in cover -- same for Bren -- it's like a bloody automatic sniper rifle in this game.
HMG's do a bit better.

Now one could compensate a little by buying elite troops, but the cost is so high (and the LMG's remain ineffective) and then one just gets swamped by large numbers of cheap allied troops, especially those oversized US platoons.

And on another note, buddy aid is the stupidest thing in this game ... on several occasions now I have had squads caught where one or two members insisting on performing first aid while being charged by enemy troops metres away, instead of firing at the attackers in plain view :mad:

Still fun ... but getting somewhat frustrated.

The more I am playing this again, the more I am convinced that CM is coded to be played solo vs AI as US or Allied player and win, especially in QB's.
Some German kit is handicapped on purpose to make this possible, especially in the infantry.

Squad MG 42 or 34 LMG's are basically useless as they are coded to be so utterly inaccurate they can't the side of a barn ... German MP's can't hit a guy in the open at 5 or 10 paces standing right in front of the shooter in the open... and return fire from M1 Garands just mows your guys down, even when in cover

I tend to agree on this. Especially the accuracy of the German LMG is laughable. At just 300-400m they struggle to hit enemies running in an open field. And don't get me started on the Stg44...

Dude, they can't hit guys at 50 or 20 metres!

It looks like they are often missing on purpose. I had one game where my opponent sent a 3-man team running towards several LMG42 teams I had. Open field. They started at 600m and just kept on going.. I think they made it to 200m where they finally went prone. Until then, it was just one burst way to the left of them, next burst way off to the right, back to left, etc.

I can't prove it, but to me, it definitely feels like the LMG42 has been nerfed since I started playing years ago. Back then it was just after the general MG boost, MGs were dangerous and it just took one burst to suppress an enemy position. Now it feels as if that boost has been cancelled again - we're back to toothless MGs. And that lack of suppressive effect goes for all the MGs I think. Both Axis and Allies.

The Allied attack at Campignola looks to be in the clean-up phase, but my Pixeltruppen are not getting careless. The last few turns have eliminated the identified largest threats.
A clean flank strike.
Camp 13.JPG
Even frenzied maneuvers by a panicked driver couldn't save this crew.
Camp 14.JPG

My defenders at Capracotta are fighting to the best of their ability. The open, yet hilly terrain is difficult for both attacker and defender to manage at times.
C2 14.JPG
This Pixeltruppen has seen enough! Walking across the field of battle with patriotic fever, he will take the fight to the enemy, or die a hero's death!
C2 15.JPG

In my experience (especially when the enemy employs them) the HMG-42 are very accurate and deadly :unsure: . Although the LMG version can indeed be quite inaccurate when they fire it from a kneeling/standing position.

Fought until the last man!
And nice screens as always!

I did wonder why you had that M-10 doing a Marvin Gaye tribute ;-), I mean the song deserves it but grapevines in CMx2 are afaik modeled with extensive steel/iron wiring, entangling anything that tries to roll through.

After a difficult fight the Allies have prevailed at Campignola! Poor LOS, grape vines (that immobilized my M-10), a river crossing and German defenders were tough, but a good fight none the less.
View attachment 19466
I was wondering why the M 10 stayed back there.
Tried at one point to land a couple of mortar rounds into the open turret.

Very interesting to read @Paleolithic Monk and I enjoy the superb screenshot quality you provide.

Last man standing ... all his comrades are dead or wounded ... Gefreiter Froschauer keeps on firing the heavy MG to the last...
@Rico, sir it looks like as if you have become German? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wrap up of Turn 4 ...

1st Btn Kampfgruppe Steiner captures CAPRACOTTA -- 1st Btn Scots Guards pulls back to San Michele to regroup (closest free Allied-controlled zone available)

2nd Btn 24 RCT captures CAMPIGNOLA -- 2nd Btn Kampfgruppe Fritz loses one strength pip and pulls back to BICCARI to regroup.

The two retreated units can move and defend in the next round as per normal, but cannot attack.

mini-camp Turn 4C.jpg

We move on to TURN 5 and plenty of action -- we have FOUR battles this turn!

From north to south:

MOVES:

1. SS Btn Becker moves to CORVINO

2. 2nd Btn Kampfgruppe Fritz move to CORVINO AIRFIELD and dig in.

3. 2nd Btn Kampfgruppe Steiner moves CORVINO --> SANTA SOFIA --> CAPRACOTTA TO RAVELLO

4. 1st Btn Scots Guards moves to SAN PIETRO

5. Natal Carabineers move through SAN PIETRO to RAVELLO.

BATTLES

Battle 1: Cape Town Highlanders attack PONTE GALLIANO (Allied Probe)

Battle 2: 1st Btn Kampfgruppe Steiner attacks SONNINO (Axis Probe)

Battle 3: 2nd Btn Kampfgruppe Steiner collides with the advancing Natal Carabineers in RAVELLO (Meeting Engagement)

Battle 4: 1st Btn 24 RCT attack Fallschirmjager Btn Faust in PERSANO. (Allied Probe)

p3ObjA3.jpg

Back