The FGM Motorcycle Thread

steve

FGM Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Ideal bike for Kansas then...............

Septic Limb

FGM Company Sergeant Major
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
More routine maintenance on the low rider.
IMG_0373.JPG
Not the best pic.
This is the clutch cable adjustment. Today's Harley project was to rebuild the carb (the kit was delivered) and adjust the clutch. Rewiring the back end was next weekend, but that's a different story. As you can see by the picture, the adjustment snapped in two, so now the project has turned into replacing the clutch cable.

sspoom

FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
5-8 games.
If you have problems like that it would surely be in your best interests to go over it with a fine tooth comb.
Better to find these issue in the garage than having them show up on the road.

Septic Limb

FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
If you have problems like that it would surely be in your best interests to go over it with a fine tooth comb.
Better to find these issue in the garage than having them show up on the road.
The bike itself is in great shape and I still don't have any regrets on the purchase. I bought a 24-year-old bike, sight unseen, I expected problems. What I have found is, for the most part, all related to a complete failure to do routine maintenance. The clutch adjustment is a great example. I had to blast it with WD40 several times over a couple of days before I could even get the boot to free up. The previous owner spent a lot of time polishing chrome but no time lubing and adjusting the basic things that keep the machine running. The old saying, "Chrome doesn't get you home," is an understatement.

Buckykatt

FGM 2nd Lieutenant
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
6+ pw
Games
2-4 games.
Email
buckykatt1@outlook.com
The bike itself is in great shape and I still don't have any regrets on the purchase. I bought a 24-year-old bike, sight unseen, I expected problems. What I have found is, for the most part, all related to a complete failure to do routine maintenance. The clutch adjustment is a great example. I had to blast it with WD40 several times over a couple of days before I could even get the boot to free up. The previous owner spent a lot of time polishing chrome but no time lubing and adjusting the basic things that keep the machine running. The old saying, "Chrome doesn't get you home," is an understatement.
It seems that it maybe spent winters outside?

Septic Limb

FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
It seems that it maybe spent winters outside?
I don't see any sign of being left outside. I think that it was parked in the back of the garage and forgotten. You see this fairly often around here. Usually, someone didn't winterize the bike, or just didn't ride it too often. This neglect leads to gummy carbs or other issues. Then some owners just park it in the shed and walk away.

Meat Grinder

FGM Colonel
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Turn Rate
1-2 pw
Games
1 game.
I don't see any sign of being left outside. I think that it was parked in the back of the garage and forgotten. You see this fairly often around here. Usually, someone didn't winterize the bike, or just didn't ride it too often. This neglect leads to gummy carbs or other issues. Then some owners just park it in the shed and walk away.
You gotta ride those hogs to keep them happy. :) I'm about to roll 125,000 miles on my 2009 Jeep Wrangler (not a vehicle noted for it's longevity). Regular 5k oil changes, two sets of new tires, recent coolant flush, new brake and power steering fluid, one brake job....we are still rolling.