Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

The FGM Motorcycle Thread

Ideal bike for Kansas then...............

More routine maintenance on the low rider.
IMG_0373.JPG
Not the best pic.
This is the clutch cable adjustment. Today's Harley project was to rebuild the carb (the kit was delivered) and adjust the clutch. Rewiring the back end was next weekend, but that's a different story. As you can see by the picture, the adjustment snapped in two, so now the project has turned into replacing the clutch cable.

If you have problems like that it would surely be in your best interests to go over it with a fine tooth comb.
Better to find these issue in the garage than having them show up on the road.

If you have problems like that it would surely be in your best interests to go over it with a fine tooth comb.
Better to find these issue in the garage than having them show up on the road.
The bike itself is in great shape and I still don't have any regrets on the purchase. I bought a 24-year-old bike, sight unseen, I expected problems. What I have found is, for the most part, all related to a complete failure to do routine maintenance. The clutch adjustment is a great example. I had to blast it with WD40 several times over a couple of days before I could even get the boot to free up. The previous owner spent a lot of time polishing chrome but no time lubing and adjusting the basic things that keep the machine running. The old saying, "Chrome doesn't get you home," is an understatement.

The bike itself is in great shape and I still don't have any regrets on the purchase. I bought a 24-year-old bike, sight unseen, I expected problems. What I have found is, for the most part, all related to a complete failure to do routine maintenance. The clutch adjustment is a great example. I had to blast it with WD40 several times over a couple of days before I could even get the boot to free up. The previous owner spent a lot of time polishing chrome but no time lubing and adjusting the basic things that keep the machine running. The old saying, "Chrome doesn't get you home," is an understatement.
It seems that it maybe spent winters outside?

It seems that it maybe spent winters outside?
I don't see any sign of being left outside. I think that it was parked in the back of the garage and forgotten. You see this fairly often around here. Usually, someone didn't winterize the bike, or just didn't ride it too often. This neglect leads to gummy carbs or other issues. Then some owners just park it in the shed and walk away.

I don't see any sign of being left outside. I think that it was parked in the back of the garage and forgotten. You see this fairly often around here. Usually, someone didn't winterize the bike, or just didn't ride it too often. This neglect leads to gummy carbs or other issues. Then some owners just park it in the shed and walk away.

You gotta ride those hogs to keep them happy. :) I'm about to roll 125,000 miles on my 2009 Jeep Wrangler (not a vehicle noted for it's longevity). Regular 5k oil changes, two sets of new tires, recent coolant flush, new brake and power steering fluid, one brake job....we are still rolling.

Happy to say that the Harley is currently between breakdowns and has been a blast to ride. Still don't trust it enough to go more than an hour away but every day it's a little better.

Also, I realized that I put just over 3000 miles on the Guzzi since November. I absolutely love this bike and still smile like a big dope every time I take it out.

My youngest was going through some of his late grandmothers pictures and came across this so he sent it to me. I thought I’d share it. Both my sons, Tony on the right, Joey on the left around 84-85 I would guess with my old 750. Back in the day bikes had “Center stands”

View attachment 19362
Nice.

I had a four stroke Kawasaki Z250 in the early 80’s - great bike.

Been riding the HD nonstop and can easily say that I've put a couple hundred on it since my last post on Wednesday. I'm thinking that its time to schedule the coast of Maine ride. The plan is to leave the Cape and head north along the coast. There is a town called Bucks Harbor (Machiasport) in Maine that I went to many times as a kid to see my grandparents. I haven't been up there in at least twenty years but something is pulling me that way. It will take about 9-10 hrs to get there. I'll spend the night, and then head back. I may pitch a tent at a place called Jaspers Beach but I don't like bears and Maine does have its fair share of those beasts.

Well,
After nearly six years of ownership the trusty old beemer is going to be sold.......I've decided to downsize and look for something else early next year.

It's been a great bike but the time has come for a change - perhaps a japanese bike may be on my horizon.... whoever gets my bike will be getting a solid machine with all the extras you could need......here's a couple of pics...... built in December 1998 and currently showing 39k on the clock......

IMG_4287-X4.jpg

IMG_4288-X4.jpg

Safe riding all.

Steve

Whoever buys it will be getting a solid machine.

Yep,

The list of extras being sold with the bike include:

Givi rack and large Givi top box with back rest for pillion.
BMW Hand guards
BMW panniers with additional fixings (waterproof) on top for securing bags to.
Givi screen with additional deflector
BMW engine guards
Ram mount
Brand new battery and MOT

New poly belt fitted at 36k

Only one owner before me (retired police officer), and he really looked after this bike too (it also featured on the front cover of the BMW bike magazine a few years ago).

Steve

Back