Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Latest Club News from Bootie

As I recall, the Blitz ladder uses different systems, for example there's a chess-type system operating on percentages and there's another that uses points etc, and people choose which system to stick with.
As a result, there can never be a clear answer to the question "Who is the Blitz ladder leader" because there are different leaders in different sub-ladders, all further sub-divided into past 3 months, 6 months, 12 months, All-time etc, which further adds to the confusion.

The great strength of the FGM ladder is the simplicity of its 5/2/1 scoring system, and a simple glance shows us that Cargol is the one and only leader around here.

PS- My suggestion of changing it to 5/2/0 will also help those who don't have time to play lots of games because they've got families and jobs to attend to.
In other words, people who have time to play lots of games would no longer get a point for losing, which would put a brake on them running away from the rest of us.
Of course, they could still play as many games as they liked, but they'd now have to win or draw to get points and not have points for losing handed to them on a plate..:)

(Incidentally the 5/2/1 system was my idea in the first place, so by suggesting we change it to 5/2/0 doesn't mean I'm stepping on anybody elses toes)

Your as much to blame as me then... if only you could have advised me of these changes. What did you have in mind?

Just didn;t want to talk ahead :)

I'm thinking on something we already talked about: adding few admins which can delete games or add users, reset button for seasons etc...
However, if you feel more comfortable with this one, tat's cool. I'll try to finish this one anyway, who knows when and how it will be used.

Yeah we have a simple ladder here. The only thing we have adopted from the Blitz is the 'idea' that bigger sized battles award more points. I think we can still offer members a point for playing even if they lose.

What we need to ask ourselves are we happy with the simple ladder.

Im easy either way because we can use that to run different ladders for different games a lot easier.

We will not be running an ETO system here... I think it is deeply flawed personally.

..What we need to ask ourselves are we happy with the simple ladder..

As a simplicity freak, I like it..:)
The 5/2/1 scoring system been running almost a year now and we've therefore all had time to thoroughly see how it works, and nearly everybody seems to like it.

However, if tweaks are being considered I'd suggest just two-

1- Make the system 5/2/0, so that the loser doesn't get a freebie point handed to him on a plate. He still won't lose any points and will go neither up nor down which seems a fair compromise.
In other words, if you want to go up, you must earn it by getting wins and draws.
It'd also be fairer on people who don't have time to play many games, because they'll no longer have to watch people going up the ladder and leaving them behind by getting truckloads of points from losing lots of games.

2- Award size bonuses for bigger games (to both winner and loser).
I suggest-
5000 size and over- 2 pts
3000 to 4999 size- 1 pt
Up to 2999 size- 0 pts

That would mean players of bigger slower games would feel more comfortable knowing there's a bonus at the end of it for their time and trouble.

The only thing that would be nice would be a year's end tourny with say, the top 8 places playing like a winner takes all thing.

Yes mate I had the game 25 years ago and remember the write-up went something like- "The British in 1940 were the first troops met by the Germans on the continent of Europe who were able to stand toe-to-toe with them and give as good as they got"

The only thing that would be nice would be a year's end tourny with say, the top 8 places playing like a winner takes all thing.

Nice idea. I dont think a winner takes all thing is fair but an end of year knockout comp for the top 8 could be fun. :) It would mean during the year people would tussle for places in the top 8.

Back