Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Bin Laden Is Dead

Capture him and take him where, Guantanamo? Had they brought him to the US to stand trial, there would have been demands on Obama to resign. Except for few oddballs, American's wanted him dead. Americans in general aren't even comfortable giving the b#^&d a burial. Most wanted an anchor tied to his leg, a bacon sandwich wired to his hands for him to enjoy on his way to the cold dark depths.
If capture was what Obama intended, he can be thankful that FAILED. So, authorizing what appears to me to be a high risk mission to kill Bin Laden when a missile certainly would have done it? That's not Obama's style. Failure would have cemented his place alongside Carter. He had to be cognizant of that. The claim by the administration that a missile might cause civilian casualties, gimme a break. He's had no such compulsion about drones. Look at the location of that compound..and then try to claim they were worried about civilian casualties? No way. They could have incinerated the compound and left the walls surrounding it standing.

I think Obama intended to capture him. When it went south and Bin laden was double tapped, he invented a new mission (after the mission was over and results known). Remember that this was scheduled for the day before. His teleprompter is all primed for the event in advance, but a little extra time is needed for the big announcement on Sunday night.

It appears to me to have been a extremely high risk mission when a missile would have done the job...if they just wanted him dead??? Nevertheless, I give the Obama administration significant credit. Someone in there stayed on the job and Obama didn't replace him/her. If the President genuinely sent out a mission with the express purpose of killing Bin Laden using ground forces, then...I'll still never vote for him..but, I'll place him much higher on the historical list of presidents. Below Calvin Coolidge, but certainly above Wilson.

Bin must have been a dumb shmuck to advertise his presence by living in a mini-fortress behind high walls topped with barbed wire.
Obviously the local citizens knew he was there, as did their government but they turned a blind eye (97% of Pakistanis are Muslim), unless one enterprising individual decided to cash in by tipping off the USA and claiming the million-dollar reward on Bin's head, ha ha..:)
Incidentally I don't care if he was unarmed when shot (his 9/11 victims were unarmed too), he could have had a radio-control detonator in his pocket ready to blow the whole place skyhigh at the touch of a button, so the SEALS couldn't take any chances and blew him away.

obla.jpg

oblb.jpg

bin_laden_compound_13.jpg

Capture him and take him where, Guantanamo? Had they brought him to the US to stand trial, there would have been demands on Obama to resign. Except for few oddballs, American's wanted him dead. Americans in general aren't even comfortable giving the b#^&d a burial. Most wanted an anchor tied to his leg, a bacon sandwich wired to his hands for him to enjoy on his way to the cold dark depths.
If capture was what Obama intended, he can be thankful that FAILED. So, authorizing what appears to me to be a high risk mission to kill Bin Laden when a missile certainly would have done it? That's not Obama's style. Failure would have cemented his place alongside Carter. He had to be cognizant of that. The claim by the administration that a missile might cause civilian casualties, gimme a break. He's had no such compulsion about drones. Look at the location of that compound..and then try to claim they were worried about civilian casualties? No way. They could have incinerated the compound and left the walls surrounding it standing.

I think Obama intended to capture him. When it went south and Bin laden was double tapped, he invented a new mission (after the mission was over and results known). Remember that this was scheduled for the day before. His teleprompter is all primed for the event in advance, but a little extra time is needed for the big announcement on Sunday night.

It appears to me to have been a extremely high risk mission when a missile would have done the job...if they just wanted him dead??? Nevertheless, I give the Obama administration significant credit. Someone in there stayed on the job and Obama didn't replace him/her. If the President genuinely sent out a mission with the express purpose of killing Bin Laden using ground forces, then...I'll still never vote for him..but, I'll place him much higher on the historical list of presidents. Below Calvin Coolidge, but certainly above Wilson.

1. To the (western) world anyway, it is important that the intention of the mission was to capture him if possible. We're civilized right ?
  2. Whether it really was the intention to capture him can very well be only propaganda
  3. Of course an airstirke could have done the trick. But how could you then be 100% certain it really was Bin Laden and that he had been killed ?
  4. How do you rate a president ? All your own subjectivity and personal taste ? (I really wouldn't know how to rate Dutch pre-ministers !) Why scores Wilson so low ?

Corsaire, of course the ISI knew he was there. We can only speculate why they did not capture him or let the US know. But you'll notice that the US did not even inform Pakistan of the mission beforehand since they can't really be trusted.
As to the injured wife, reports say she was in custody of the Pakistani forces.

That tells us something about the relationship between the US and their "allied friends" of Pakistan who cost a big stack of bucks in military help every year...

Last news I heard this morning was that the man had no weapons, which tends to make us think this was planned from the start as a proper execution (which I have nothing against, but better to say it clearly) and they wanted him to know it was US troops killing him, which couldn't happen with a smart bomb. It would probably also have been more difficult to identify the pieces in the rubbles ! So globally I think military speaking it has been a superb operation, but the communication from US officials has been a disaster. We have the third or fourth version already only 2 days later !

Bin must have been a dumb shmuck to advertise his presence by living in a mini-fortress behind high walls topped with barbed wire.
Obviously the local citizens knew he was there, as did their government but they turned a blind eye (97% of Pakistanis are Muslim), unless one enterprising individual decided to cash in by tipping off the USA and claiming the million-dollar reward on Bin's head, ha ha..:)
Incidentally I don't care if he was unarmed when shot (his 9/11 victims were unarmed too), he could have had a radio-control detonator in his pocket ready to blow the whole place skyhigh at the touch of a button, so the SEALS couldn't take any chances and blew him away.

He wasn't a dumb schmuck because he lived there 6 years under protection of the ISI (and not a blind-eye...) and it was not an enterprising individual, but the pakistani government and secret service who decided to let him down and give him to the US for political reasons. (and a billion dollar yearly military funds... which is more expensive than the million bucks of the fairy tale...)

I can't believe this guy has been living 6 years in a secured compound with bodyguards, with no telephone, no internet or anything, burning their garbage so nobody sees them take it out, in a city 60 km from the country capital and a few hundred meters from the country's main military academy without the secret service knowing anything !!

My brother has a small house in a Romanian village. Some 40 kilometers from a major city. The majority of that village have neither telephone nor internet and burn their garbage !

New Al Quada hide-out ?

Didn't know that Romania was a war zone and an islamic taliban country used as a hiding place by terrorist organisations ! That's news... It's a small house and I suppose not a securised compound with bodyguards, opaque windows and 12 feet high walls around (otherwise your brother may be having another business than what you think..lol) having no telephone, internet and burning garbage in Romanian country villages is quite normal. Abottabad is not really a village !!

Didn't know that Romania was a war zone and an islamic taliban country used as a hiding place by terrorist organisations ! That's news... It's a small house and I suppose not a securised compound with bodyguards, opaque windows and 12 feet high walls around (otherwise your brother may be having another business than what you think..lol) having no telephone, internet and burning garbage in Romanian country villages is quite normal. Abottabad is not really a village !!

There are more houses in that village......

My brother has a small house in a Romanian village. Some 40 kilometers from a major city. The majority of that village have neither telephone nor internet and burn their garbage !

New Al Quada hide-out ?

Where in Romania Bert ?We might be neighbours with ur brother :)

To the (western) world anyway, it is important that the intention of the mission was to capture him if possible. We're civilized right ?
Whether it really was the intention to capture him can very well be only propaganda
Of course an airstirke could have done the trick. But how could you then be 100% certain it really was Bin Laden and that he had been killed ?
How do you rate a president ? All your own subjectivity and personal taste ? (I really wouldn't know how to rate Dutch pre-ministers !) Why scores Wilson so low ?

All good points. I recall the initial report from the administration described it as a kill mission. No intent of capture. That was the reason for my conclusions. Of course, it has been some hours since my post and there have been multiple descriptions of how it all unfolded since then.

We have the resources within Pakistan had it been necessary to examine the remains following an airstrike and confirm the results. And, your right. There was the remote chance he might have survived. My ratings on US Presidents is determined in the same manner as anyone who spends time studying history, examining the public policy positions of the Presidents through the prism of time and evaluating the results of their time in office years after they have retired. Besides, how do you know I didn't rate Calvin Coolidge #5 and Wilson number #7?

Back