Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

PANZER COMMAND OSTFRONT

POS,
While talking to Rick over at Matrix I mentioned for them to get you a review copy. Told him he had some interested parties over here at the FGM and you wanted to do a review. He mentioned that you have a seriel for PC:Karkov? If you do, you can download the game with that. If you dont have a serial then they will have to get you one.

That's nice of them but I don't know where the full game download link is at the Matrix site.
But I've been a Matrix Press Reviewer for the past few years and have submitted a request for PC:O in the usual way so I expect they'll send me a link in the next few days as before.
Below are the games they've sent me for reviewing in the past and as you can see my PC:O request is 'Pending'.
(I've also asked BFront for a review copy of CMBN but whether they send me one when its released remains to be seen..)

matx-press.jpg

As far as I can tell, no borgspotting around. I haven't played very much yet, though. General spotting works like CMSF and CMBN: every unit can only see what it has spotted and isn't aware of other stuff. At least not that I have noticed it yet.

So what's the verdict?.... PzC Ostfront worth getting... is it likely to replace CMBB?

On the strength of the PC:O demo, i'd say cmbb/cmak are still King, but until I review the full game i can't be absolutely sure.
I would however say PC:O is slightly better than CMBN.

So what's the verdict?.... PzC Ostfront worth getting... is it likely to replace CMBB?

Good question, I read that the map editor is compatible with topographical maps, which appeals to me. Would make some great campaigns, I'm thinking of your COI Rico. :)

Gents,

I have changed all the Infantry XML files to show full infanty squads (10 soldiers) and teams (2-3 soldiers).

Istallation.
1.Extract the infamtry_modded_xml directory to the <game directory>\data\infantry folder
2.Save the original xml files for safety.
3. copy the modded xml files into <game directory>\data\infantry folder

Do not forget to turn limit infantry option OFF!

Enjoy :) .

It was only a matter of time before the mods for this game start coming out. I did a mod like this before but not with all the infantry models. It still functions like the old CM games but gives you the full visual representation like CMSF. The losses your squads take are in steps. You still can take 3 hits and each time 3 or 4 men are knocked off. Will tax you system a little more but I dont think too much. The models are not high poly to begin with. Definitely would recommend this mod though - better immersion into the game.

POS
When you are finished loading up the game go to the downloads section at this site and check out the file I uploaded. You will need to extract the files and drop the "MEDIA" and "DATA" folders into your main game location. The scenario will then show up in the scenario list to play. This was created by 'Rick' over at Matrix and I believe it showcases all the armored and AT units in the game. Check it out.

POS : "(I've also asked BFront for a review copy of CMBN but whether they send me one when its released remains to be seen..)"

What would you need it for ? You keep saying it's full of flaws and not worth a penny... lol !!

It was only a matter of time before the mods for this game start coming out. I did a mod like this before but not with all the infantry models. It still functions like the old CM games but gives you the full visual representation like CMSF. The losses your squads take are in steps. You still can take 3 hits and each time 3 or 4 men are knocked off. Will tax you system a little more but I dont think too much. The models are not high poly to begin with. Definitely would recommend this mod though - better immersion into the game.

Hey that is my mod :) .

POS : "(I've also asked BFront for a review copy of CMBN but whether they send me one when its released remains to be seen..)"
What would you need it for ? You keep saying it's full of flaws and not worth a penny... lol !!

You on crack mate? I never said that, you just said it..;)

Hey that is my mod :) .

I'll be damned. Now that I look at the names closer...

Great mod. I hope I did not sound like I made it. I apologize if I did. Do not want to take credit for your work. How did you edit the .xml files? Just curious as like I said I played around with this but never put anything together for all the units in the game. That must have been alot of work.

Again, nice one.

You must pay the freakin' 70.00 that we all did for the pre-order!!! Not to mention the 30 or 40 I will pay for each module they come out with. Hopefully each has more than a handful of units as with CMSF I sort of felt short changed between modules. Moot point, this thread is about PC:O.

Okay the full PC:Ostfront game downloaded and plays smooth as silk, I thought I'd start by diving straight into the Random battle generator for a dabble around-

pc1.gif

pc2.gif

It's not truly random of course (thank god) because you can set all sorts of parameters to suit, for example I've chosen the Stalingrad map and set the date to Oct 9th 1942. The game will restrict unit types to around that historical date.
Note you can drag the sliders to choose what proportion of infantry, tanks, guns etc you want. I'll leave it at default-
pc6.gif

If I wanted, I could have dragged both sides infantry sliders like this to make them infantry-heavy forces-
pc4.gif

Welcome to Stalingrad (or at least the railyard, I was hoping it'd be a Tractor Factory map but I daresay some hotshot modders will create it for the database later)
I've set the units scale to 'realistic' like CMBN and they're almost invisible--
pc7.gif

Trees toggled off (nought 0)-
pc9.gif

Floaters toggled on (I), and unit scale increased to medium (#)-
pc10.gif

I think this is how I'd play the game myself with trees off and units at maximum scale, looking uncannily like cmbb/cmak. (I've circled each German group). Floaters not needed at this scale so i've toggled them off to avoid clutter.
The truck colours are too bright and pretty, they'd be more at home in a gay parade and the guy who created them must be on acid-
pc8.gif

Ha ha some doods are in cattle wagons. Medium scale here, players will of course shrink (/) or enlarge (#) units to whatever size they like best-
pc13.gif

Panzer II and machinegunners waiting to go in-
pc14.gif

Trees off, and max unit scale-
pc15.gif

Building teeming with infantry-
pc16.gif

A T-34 scout awaiting the onslaught begins to get a bad feeling-
pc17.gif

NOTES- I only scratched the surface of the Random battle generator and never touched any of its deeper options and it's very good, it only took me 5 minutes to set up the above battle by selecting the Stalingrad map, choosing the date 'Oct 9th 1942' and was transported there as if by time machine.
I especially like the way you can drag the force selection sliders to set what proportion of unit types you'll have.
And as PC:O and CMBN are both being released around the same time, it's fine to throw in the occasional comparison, for example the PC:O graphics are not as good as CMBN but at least the units can be enlarged, whereas in CMBN they're permanently at piddly little microscopic size.

I'll be damned. Now that I look at the names closer...

Great mod. I hope I did not sound like I made it. I apologize if I did. Do not want to take credit for your work. How did you edit the .xml files? Just curious as like I said I played around with this but never put anything together for all the units in the game. That must have been alot of work.

Again, nice one.

No suspicion. I was just happy to see someone mentioning it.

You must pay the freakin' 70.00 that we all did for the pre-order!!! Not to mention the 30 or 40 I will pay for each module they come out with. Hopefully each has more than a handful of units as with CMSF I sort of felt short changed between modules. Moot point, this thread is about PC:O.

I was just quoting a post that was part of this thread, and as far as I'm concerned I didn't spend anything on pre order, I never do. I usually buy the games after 6 months minimum, once the bugs have been corrected, the mods done and the price divided by 2 !

POS has another good deal : post a few pics and a few comments (sometimes on what's already in the manual), call it a review and ask for free games. We all should do the same... LOL !

Back