Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Rambler's Gallery

Still training in Falcon...something I'll be doing for awhile. In this outing, I'm practicing formation flying with a KC-135R in preparation to attempt aerial refueling. Air to air refueling is simply close formation flying, so learning how to do that well is the first step.

Catching up with the tanker:
DC3yFaU.jpg

ZlO6zM2.jpg

rZ3asP9.jpg

Feed me!
VKuhz8F.jpg

sT487EG.jpg

elkSOaa.jpg

I'm currently organising a group of my ARMA clan to play Falcon - having a blast! It's amazing what BMS have done with such an aged game -not just in terms of graphics but also the sim itself. Definitely on par with DCS in many respects!

Haha, been there done that, Ith. What sims did you play?

That's pretty cool, Artemis. Ive thought about joining a v squadron, but haven't made the jump yet. Would like to get a bit more comfortable with the jet. It is amazing what BMS has done to the old girl, and I agree it's nearly on par with DCS in a lot of ways. The one thing it does a lot better, and always will for the foreseeable future, is the DC. Hope ED get around to coding one one day. They had a 24hr poll on their forums several weeks ago asking what their player base was most interested in seeing ED work on, and a DC was the winner by a wide margin. It doesn't guarantee they'll work on one, but at least they know what their customers are wanting. We'll see what happens.

I doubt it.

From an interview with the guy who created Falcon 4's Dynamic campaign in.... 2011 i think?

Many recent simulators are released without even trying to code a Dynamic Campaign engine. Why do you think today’s sim developers are so scared of what you guys were able to create more than a decade ago?

Well, it’s just really hard to do. Looking back on it, I think the only reason we took on what we did is because we were too inexperienced to know better. Knowing what I do now, even given my experience on Falcon, the cost to develop such an engine would be substantial. Since flight sims don’t bring in that kind of revenue companies look at it from a cost to benefit standpoint and Dynamic Campaigns score pretty low in that regard. There is also the argument that scripted missions are more interesting which has some merit. I think if I were to do it over I would do a mix of scripted/generated missions, so that the player still feels like they’re involved in the world, but there is also some variety thrown in to keep things interesting.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4195347/Re:_Interview_with_Lead_Softwa

Though didn't someone create a pseudo-dynamic campaign with some tricky work-arounds for the Mig 21 in DCS?

Not sure.

Boomkow and I checked out the new Darkest Hour update last night. Still hella fun after all these years. Couple shots from the Carentan Causeway map:

Boomkow watching for airborne troops trying to make it across the causeway.
cLMkRd4.jpg

He spots one and takes him out.
czvjp7f.jpg

Some older Darkest Hour shots I had sitting around I thought I would post as well:

CQB in Berlin.
ySasAYb.jpg

German troops move past a burning Sherman as they fight to secure a Belgian town.
vxPi1Vi.jpg

The final moments of an unaware ATG gunner.
HtGqhIv.jpg

Playing through the Russian campaign in Theater of War 2: Kursk, and here are a few screens from the second scenario.

German artillery bombardment on the first Russian defensive line commences.
QWFGPVL.jpg

The German armored spearhead begins to advance...
jfISHVK.jpg

...while the bombardment intensifies and Soviet casualties begin to mount.
rO67a5l.jpg

More German armor appears on the battlefield to lend their support to the advance.
mDWgwfG.jpg

Probably what you don't want to see when only armed with a PTRD. This soldier made a good stand, but was eventually killed by the onslaught.
0jTDM3E.jpg

A Panther takes a 76mm AT gun round to the rear and brews up.
35NYb0O.jpg

A SU-122 destroys a Panzer IV that tried breaking through Russian lines.
0MIqsRi.jpg

Anatomy of a Panther death.
2NzbGlj.jpg

The Russians were able to stall the German attack and inflicted heavy casualties before being ordered to fall back.

Found some old War Thunder shots I thought I'd post.

Getting on the tail of a Spit:
ntQP1XP.jpg

Peashooter:
FGz7QdM.jpg

My Peashooter on fire. This not good.
AN7bsWJ.jpg

A Corsair loses its tail to my .50s:
90gua0o.jpg

Attacking ground targets with a Ki-11. Crap plane with only twin 7.7s for armament, but a lot of fun.
DxEsEeY.jpg

Strafing down in the weeds:
oV9PQml.jpg

A teammate and I nearly have a mid-air:
UW4IrA6.jpg

Follow the leader! There's an enemy on my tail (about to pass through the fireball of an exploding vehicle I killed) who is also being chased by my teammate (The I-16).
PtS4joT.jpg

A teammate and I working together to bring down an He-112:
mNJXsNY.jpg

Defending the airfield:
bm6YSye.jpg

A Ki-27 falls prey to my measly 7.7s:
wSN1CYl.jpg

So, I've been learning how to play Steel Beasts Pro PE. Below are a few screens of my, um, adventures.

Sight seeing around a training map during a driving tutorial. Ahhh, the warm sun, clear sky, sweet smelling green forests and a 63 ton tracked killing machine. Life is good.
LZAgjtu.jpg

Making woodland gnomes piss their pants since 1986.
04Tn5Ez.jpg

The following screens were taken during the last tutorial mission where you learn how to fight with and control multiple units. I still have yet to complete it :(.

The scenario starts off with me in command of a tank platoon. The command tank was set on overwatch to protect two additional platoons advancing on a hill. The other three tanks in my platoon are to be sent to the opposite side of the hill to cut off any retreat. I get the command tank into a position to start taggin' and baggin' the baddies defending the hill, and they're able to knock out a couple tanks.
SZn6kZw.jpg

An intense artillery barrage hits the hill while the other two platoons start their advance. I leave the command tank, take control of my remaining tanks, and choose to be the TC in the lead tank. We make our way to the opposite side of the hill, and I'm keeping my eyes open for any contacts. I hear the sickening sound of metal penetrating metal. I'm dead. The tank is still in perfect working order. I'm the only crew member in my tank to die. My crew glibly continues on not noticing their TC is ripped to shreds. Curious to see what the AI would do, I decide to watch what unfolds without any intervention. My three tanks succumb to several T-80UMs in an ambush position, and they join me in digital Valhalla. That sneaky scenario designer. Curses to you! My poor tanks are smoking, wrecked pieces of multi-million dollar junk.
40z3mVB.jpg

I convince Odin to let me leave digital Valhalla for a second try. It starts out much the same as the first, however I decide I'll try be sneaky and get the drop on the ambushing T-80s. I know where they are now, and I can get sweet, juicy flank shots at them by advancing to a rise in the ground that will let me look down on them as well as protect me. Flank shots + hull down = win. I take the TC position and command my tanks to follow me. In a moment where I decide I'll try to be smart, I detach one of my three tanks so I can control him separately. He's way behind, anyway. I slow my tank and the other down, as we're getting close to the T-80s. I forget to slow down my separate third tank, however. As I stop to scan, I hear the whine of a turbine engine and the clacking of tracks growing louder behind me. I swing around and find myself staring at a 60+ ton Abrams barreling right toward me. Apparently he's in a hurry to die. Or his commander was dumb enough to forget to order him to slow down. My vote is for the former. Anyway, he tears right past me and gets air off the crest of a small rise we were stopped behind. Because style points, yo.
2LIhhhG.jpg

He continues on like the devil himself is after him. My tank, on the right, is all like, hey what?
lSnFUri.jpg

Frantically, I order him to return to formation and am able to do so before he is spotted by the T-80UMs. With that ordeal dealt with, I advance to the next rise which the T-80UMs are hiding behind. My tanks and I creep up towards the crest ever so slowly. I am in total concentration mode. I so have these douchebag T-80s. They will be flaming wrecks in just a few more seconds. WHAM! I jump out of my desk chair about 3 ft into the air. My heart is pounding at 200 bpm. In real life. I'm dead again, in not real life. My driver is dead. My gunner is dead. The tank's systems are wrecked. Two more sabots penetrate my Abrams, finally destroying it and killing my loader. My other Abrams pulls alongside my knocked out tank and suffers the same fate in quick succession. Spooked, my third Abrams flies over the crest of the rise and is destroyed by the T-80UMs we were about to kill. Turns out there was a lone T-80UM far off on our left flank I didn't see. We were hidden from him until we got close to the crest of the rise. Here's the penetrating shot that got me the second time:
Ru8A35o.jpg

Third time will be the charm, right? I sure hope so. Stay tuned to find out. I must say, this is an awesome sim. I can't believe I waited so long to get it. If you have any interest in tank warfare, I highly recommend picking it up. Well worth the price of admission. There's a good number of additional tanks/IFVs that are modeled in detail and playable. Several versions of the Leopard, a couple versions of the Abrams, Bradleys, CV90s, a Challenger 2, a T-72 and some others.

Last edited:
Yassss, my plan has worked! Seriously though, I think you'll like it. It's sort of a cross between CM and a simulator in that you can control units like a war game, but also take direct control of them and fight it out in the game world. Plus, it includes Finnish vehicles and maps!

Finnish heavy metal
XwONG7Q.jpg

w5fqdxG.jpg

Last edited:
As I said a couple posts above, stay tuned to see if I'm actually able to beat the last M1A1 tutorial mission without dying. Well, here is the fifth try in full noobish glory. Will I be successful?

Back