Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Panzer Corps 2

Tip: Just made this discovery!

Some units, like Submarines, 88mm Flak, can switch modes.
Keep an eye out for the icon, it appears above the Replacements button.

Note the bino icon - the U-Boat can spot up to 4 hexes away, the icon below is the range - zero mean it has to be adjacent to fire.

06UBoatSwitch_LI.jpg

Oh my. There was a point around turn #13 or so that things were in serious doubt.
I really expected the Russians to launch the occasional local counter attack, but she started attacking from the very start and never let up until it was no longer possible. With the Russians having a significant numerical advantage in air power at the start (as usual) I was on the run until my fighters could change my fortune!
Very impressive AI.
Well, here I go. Across the Channel to begin the Sealion Landing. I can tell I'm going to have to move some units into reserve status and upgrade the Luftwaffe with as many fighters and strat bombers as I can get into my OOB. I don't know why the game makes strategic bombers more effective against ships than dive bombers, but there it is.
I upgraded one of my PzIVF's to a PzV. The problem was that (I guess) because it was new it had a limited ability to repair/reinforce. So, after turn six or so it was down to 4 HP and I had no way to fix it. I'm going to have to pay more attention to the upgrade page and read the fine print.

I can tell I'm going to have to move some units into reserve status and upgrade the Luftwaffe with as many fighters and strat bombers as I can get into my OOB. I don't know why the game makes strategic bombers more effective against ships than dive bombers, but there it is.
Well if that's the only thing that's "wrong" about the game, it can be forgiven.

Reactions: mTk
Finally knocked over the Dijon scenario - turn 20, final move! Interesting discussion on the PC2 forum re this scenario. All have far more aircraft and armor than my OOB. Will experiment with the mix. Off to Barbarossa.

Enjoying the scenarios and the various shapes the "puzzle" come in, some nice thought there. Still not sold on the sprite concept but what can you do (these devs would do a great job at Combat Mission scale). The air map mode is useful, well worth using. AA Guns are very useful with their air and ground capability. Arty is essential.

The basic recipe is:
Armor/mobile units - encirclement
Arty/Engineers/Grenadiers/JU87 - assault
Armor assist with mop up - remembering we are talking German assets in early war.

Look after your Luftwaffe assets.

Awesome. The coolest move I've ever seen a WW2 AI do.
And I'm not going to spoil it for you other than to say it is in the Battle for the Western U.S.
Had the effort been made further into the battle it just may have worked! However, had the U.S. waited until then it is likely I would have worn down their air power to an extent it wouldn't have worked then either. Either way, it surprised Hell out of me! Well done programmer.
This is not a spoiler as you will learn it soon enough. The U.S. Army Air Force is extremely large and efficient. I finally couldn't wait to start my offensive in earnest after I'd knocked down their strength because I wasn't sure if/when that was ever going to happen. Beware!
When this is done all that I have left are the Russian and Italian campaigns. By choosing the Egyptian campaign I did not reach the Russian Front until the attack on Moscow so in the future I'll be trying those separately.
Barry and I are going to try out the PBEM shortly. I am almost sure it is identical to that used for FoG II so looking forward to it.

@mTk - you are galloping through the scenarios!

I have fought my way to the Kiev from the North scenario - (Barbarossa Central). Almost half way through this 30 turn battle. Bit of an economy run as every unit and point counts. Supposed to kill every unit (88). The KV-1's are a major concern. Basically, attempt to kill all the supporting forces while using a Stuka to keep it from eating all your forces, then encircle the beast for the kill. The Soviet air force is busy early and you have to keep a close eye on Luftwaffe damage. Like to upgrade my anti-air assets to 88mm but cannot save any points at this stage.
The AI gives you interesting choices, IMHO the game rewards killing units outright, often the AI will withdraw a low remaining point unit to just beyond where it looks safe to kill it. Do you go after it and suffer the counter-attack? You learn early not to let your units get isolated.

Below is the campaign tree for your info.

pzCtree.jpg

• Love
Reactions: mTk
TA DA!
That's more of a celebration than I got from the game after just winning my campaign. You get nothing more than the usual "victory" screen. Hmmpf.
The Pacific battle is serious challenge because of all the natural choke points. Fortunately, the programmers were a little too aggressive in this battle specifically, and the game in general. They tended to send a lot of their force forward at the start in a grand offensive. Once the German player realizes this plan is repetitive it is a benefit as those units that get destroyed early would have been of great value as defenders later in the game.
I did make a mistake that caused me grief throughout and that was I forgot to get some jet fighters into my OOB. The U.S. had two P-80 fighters that just aggravated me the whole time. I only brought them down right at the end when I occupied their last airfield.
So, great fun. Hope you others get it as I can see Rico putting together a campaign that would be amazing.
-----

Last edited:
I've started cheating by giving myself extra prestige (playing on Colonel difficulty). I don't mind losing by being outmaneuvered or running out of time, but I dislike not having enough material to do the job.

I've started cheating by giving myself extra prestige (playing on Colonel difficulty). I don't mind losing by being outmaneuvered or running out of time, but I dislike not having enough material to do the job.
Enough material to be outmaneuvered? How does that work, exactly? ;)

Just finished the Kiev scenario. It took a number of replays before I managed victory on the last turn. Pretty impressed with the scenario design in the game to date. Lots of interesting puzzles to solve on the larger scale as well as battling individual units. Have I complained about sprites before? Not sure they add that much to the gaming experience and they can get hidden in the background noise of the map. But other than that it is a terrific game.

Don't under-estimate the effect suppression has on units. Arty is very important, as it should be. If you can, always arty/stuka units before attacking. Attacking unit type and order of attack is also important.

Recon units are very useful with their hit and run capability.

When setting up an attack it is tempting to place a unit next to the enemy unit and then attack, select your next unit, etc. The best idea, so all of your attacking units get the bonus for encirclement, mass attack, recon unit spotting etc, is to place all your attacking units first, then attack in the best sequence, ie best result unit attacks first, then subsequent units get to attack with better probability.

Last edited:
Enough material to be outmaneuvered? How does that work, exactly? ;)

What I meant was.....I don't mind losing by being outplayed, or by running out of time. I don't like losing by not having enough shit to get the job done. Thus, the only cheat I will allow myself is the extra prestige. Same as I did in Panzer Corps 1. Yep, I know it's part of the game to manage your resources, but I prefer to play the way I play. At least in this first playthrough. Kinda the same way I play Battle Brothers. I refuse to lower the difficulty setting, but I will fight the same battle ten times if necessary in order to win. :cool:

Back